Kilt wearing.

Frankito

As a Scotsman, I think tgat it is only right that I get to get all tartaned up whenever the occasion calls for it. And so tomorrow I am off to a wedding with what can only be described as a beautiful kilt. But it dawned on me, for the first time ever, that in some cultures it does seem like I am wearing a skirt..

But, would that stop me wearing it... Hell no! Does it make me a cross-dresser wag, like someone at work suggested today...? I hope not!

:)-D

A friend of mine was working up in the highlands and visited a shop selling kilts and higland 'gear' as he wanted to buy himself a pair of brogues. On completing his purchase the proprietor said to him:

Prop: (In best higland accent) Will sir be taking a kilt with those?

Friend: No, (nervous smile) no I don't think so.

Prop: Och don't be put off by the effeminate types that come up from the south for the country dancing!

His implication being that it takes a real man to weear a kilt.

[True story and friend insists he really did say 'Och'.]

I was at my neice's wedding to a Scot this weekend. The men of his family arrived en masse in kilts, a number of his English friends - with formal roles of Best Man & Ushers also kilted up - and reported they found it an excellent outfit.

As the wedding was in a Tithe Barn with Morris Men and country dancing - the English were able to respond in kind with a form of national outfit. However, it was the kilted men that engaged the interest of the female drinkers at the nearby pub.

As a English man of many many generations with no discernible, or realistically believable, claim to a Scottish ancestry I regret having no excuse to wear a kilt. Would over 40 years of whisky drinking help me qualify?

Marmora Man, had your EDF name had something Scottish about it, I may have personally considered it, being Haggis royalty as I am. Just to be on the safe side, let's have ten more years of whisky drinking and, if you survive that, you can have my mother.