Lanzarote/ Canaries in summer- what's it like???

Minitoots

We want to go somewhere inexpensive warm and by the sea but away from the crowds for a relaxing holiday from around 23rd July for 2 weeks. A few friends have recommended Lanzarote but despite doing lots of online research I can't really see if we'd be able to get away from the crowds if we went there, and if we did get away from them whether it would be worth it, as some of the smaller coastal villages don't get great travel reviews - has anyone been to the less touristy areas of the island? What about other lesser known Canaries? Any other suggestions where we can get a cheap flight and avoid crowds would be great too, thanks!

Lesser known Islas Canarias includes Gran Canaria which, if you want to get away from the crowds, don't bother. Why don't you get a cheap flight to southern Spain and hire a car and just drive untilyou find somewhere quiet.. Theislands are very popular with both foreigners and nationals, manyof whom have the same idea as yourself..

The best little places that have yet to be discovered by the tourist masses are not usually hyped up on the internet. Take a chance and have an adventure.

We're certainly up for adventures and have done what you suggested in the past in places like Alaska and Uganda which worked out really well but we just can't imagine finding anything off the beaten track that is also worth staying at in places in Europe, but we do have a tent so could always 'wild camp' in Europe....

I had a friend who used to spend the whole summer (july, august and most of september) out in Lanzarote. He loved the freedom and the quietness of it all. it's not a barren place. There's plenty of life to be found depending on which part of the island you aim for.

Great for a relaxing retreat in general though so I've heard :)

scotch I hardly think you're comments are fair - everyone has their own opinion on what is good and what isn't. Some people like wind, some don't. Some people like barren, some don't. your own not so "pleasant" experience is biased as you've said. So lets dismss it ;-)

Fuerteventura is nice anddoes havesome koveky and very windy beaches down in the south of the island. Thenorth is very touristy and to be avoided but other than that, as an island there are some great sights to see, but do hire a car.

MiniT: Alaska and Uganda, I am impressed! I can see how you may find Europe tame after those places....

we just went around france with a tent and a copy of Cool Camping France - they now do a Cool Camping Europe which includes some sites in Spain - we went in april, so not high season, which may have made a difference, but it was excellent and all the places we stayed were stunning/peaceful. You could try something like that...

You're not really going to find solitude and sea anywhere in Spain, but the Canarias are definitely not the place to look, I went there once and still shudder with the memory of massed beach crowds, fat naked germans and terrible pizza as the staple diet. My mate and I ended up hiking up the volcano every day just to stay sane.

You might try around Cabo de Gata east of Almeria, it's one of the most legally protected coastlines in Europe, very beautiful with lots of camping but very little in the way of development. My cousin goes octopus fishing there quite regularly.

http://www.degata.com/eng/