Silly Question...

trentk69

Can I use my green wheelie bin to dispose of garden waste, or does this have to go in the brown garden waste wheelie bin, or the (useless) paper recycle bags?

The reason I ask is because my brown garden waste bin is now full...

Thanks in advance.

Strictly everything that can be re-cycled should be re-cycled. The green bin is only for waste that can only be disposed of by landfill.

I have the same problem. Fortunately I speak to my neighbours so have borrowed four brown bins to get rid of the extra garden waste.

Use the green bin and 1. They may refuse to empty it. 2. You may get a written or verbal warning. 3. You may get a fine.

The attitude of the Council at the moment is one of help and encouragement so probably at the worst you would just be advised unless you are a commercial organisation..

Hope that helps.

Where I live, us friendly folk have an informal arrangement whereby - should any of us go nuts on the garden - we are able to use any spare capacity in our neighbours' brown bins once ours is full. The system works very well. Just a few days ago I filled up ours and nearly two others, whereas a couple of weeks ago ours was filled by someone else. You could do worse than to speak to your neighbours.

Thanks for the replies. The brown bags are absolutely useless for what I need to do. They are fine for a few leaves and grass and the like, but no good for clearing up bramble, tree cuttings, prunings etc.

Dont think I will run the risk of using the green bins for the garden waste then.

The waste put in the BROWN bins goes to very good use.

The bin company process it into organic compost which they sell for ?12 for 150 lts. You can cash and carry it from the depot in Camberwell

( turn left at McDonalds off of the Walworth Road )

While you're there pop into Walworth Community Garden which is 5 minutes further down the same road.

It's a bloomin' marvellous compost/soil conditioner too. I've used it to improve the soil in my raised beds & they are abundant with flowers, herbs and soon to be veg.

I just wish the Lewisham borough did the same as Southwark.

But all the same, keep it coming.

NETTE(tu)

Hi Nette,

The garden waste that I am disposing of contains a large amount of brambles - does the bin company have a way of neutralising the bramble seeds, as if this goes into the compost, then people that buy it would be inadvertantly spreading the bramble seeds in their garden, which is not a desirable outcome?

Maybe I am being a bit dim here?

Cheers