Why did locals not oppose the closing of the railway from Crystal Palace through Dulwich?

Townleygreen

I wonder why there was no successful campaign to retain this line before its closure in the mid 50s?

After all, it ran from C Palace - Upr Syd - Lordship Lane - Honor Oak - Nunhead - Victoria.

That would have been a very useful line, adding to the transport connectivity of the area. If it was still going today, I can't imagine locals not fighting its closure.

How odd!

One reason there may have been no successful campaign could be that there was an unsuccessful campaign.

Are you saying that there was NO campaign at all and if not why not, or are you saying that although there was a campaign, why did it fail ?

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder why there was no successful campaign to

> retain this line before its closure in the mid

> 50s?

I think it was possibly to do with the fact that cars were becoming more popular back then? Although I'm not really sure. Its just that I have heard that apart from Beeching's review of it which led to massive cuts across many popular railway lines that cars were one of the major causes of threat to their future too.

On the other page for ED Gossip/Issues, Computedshorty makes the point about the CP link being less in demand because the reason the line was established, to serve the Crystal Palace, was deleted when the landmark burned down what seems like 20 years or so before, so it may have been a case of diminishing use, leading to eventual closure (and perhaps no / negligible campaign as a result ?).

If it's any consolation to you Townleygreen we fought the cuts to the Victoria/London Bridge loop line tooth and nail (inc the top heavyweights from King's Hospital as it effects Denmark Hill service) and it made fcuk all difference...

power to the people eh!

http://www.bellenden.net/srug/news

http://a2.img.mobypicture.com/9a5ac8e590a19073aabd2b031500eb61_view.jpg