Redundancy Consultation?

womanofdulwich

Will probably outline your offer and ask you for any preferences or circumstances they need to know about for any potential redeploymment. Basically a paper exercise so they can say they have done it and you cannot sue.

Can depend on the scale of the redundancies. Above a certain number, there are two stages to consultation - business consulation done as a group and the personal consultation. I believe you can request someone to attend with you which can be useful since such news can be a shock and not easy to think of pertinent questions etc.

I think it may be useful to not explicitly commit to anything / sign anything until you've done your research and spoken to unions/advisors.

It'll serve you well to be as prepared as possible, write your questions down with plenty of space to fit the answers.

Also you could take a small recording device switched on before you go in and wrapped in something like a tissue so sound gets through OK, or use the iPhone voice recording app (this is purely for referential use but also if something is later contested and you find you need evidence).

In court I use an Edihrol device wrapped in a tissue. Never needed to use the evidence but useful for reference going forward, it's surprising what you think was said but actually wasn't (and vice versa).

Excellent advice from KidKruger about not really commenting at this stage - you will need time to think and get some advice after the meeting. I'm a Union rep and have seen a fair bit of this recently. Also, good advice, whoever said to take someone with you. Another pair of ears and eyes when you're probably not thinking quite straight. It's an emotional type of meeting to go through, even for those who actually aren't so 'attached' to their jobs!

GOod luck!

Helen

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it may be useful to not explicitly commit

> to anything / sign anything until you've done your

> research and spoken to unions/advisors.

> It'll serve you well to be as prepared as

> possible, write your questions down with plenty of

> space to fit the answers.

> Also you could take a small recording device

> switched on before you go in and wrapped in

> something like a tissue so sound gets through OK,

> or use the iPhone voice recording app (this is

> purely for referential use but also if something

> is later contested and you find you need

> evidence).

> In court I use an Edihrol device wrapped in a

> tissue. Never needed to use the evidence but

> useful for reference going forward, it's

> surprising what you think was said but actually

> wasn't (and vice versa).

Jah Lush Wrote:

> What ratty said. Happened to me a few weeks ago.

> Good luck.

Sorry to hear and good luck all. Is it legal to record stuff for evidence without letting all parties know you are doing so? Just out of interest..

turns out the meeting was a warning to let me know the meeting is this week - so i can arm myself with a taperecorder or bring someone with me? why jsut me I ask ? cost cutting they say ( i think "it it because i am the only woman inthis department and work part time?" i also think "why has this not been mentioned in the past 12 months and i have never had a personal appraisal etc in the 3.5 years i have been here.") I feel like stamping my foot.

karter:

"Is it legal to record stuff for evidence without letting all parties know you are doing so? Just out of interest.."

Not entirely sure, for me, my main aim is to have a record of what was said and have something to refer to for personal use. I think to record and THEN share without knowledge / permission of those recorded is probably some kind of privacy offence. If I need to drag out an excerpt from a recording then I can, but it'd be a last resort and only to demonstrate what was said / settle any contention over detail of previous hearings or discussions beforehand.

I say last resort because it's not something you want to wave around like some kind of threat, "watch out I've got all these recordings so be careful what you say".

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> turns out the meeting was a warning to let me know

> the meeting is this week - so i can arm myself

> with a taperecorder or bring someone with me? why

> jsut me I ask ? cost cutting they say ( i think

> "it it because i am the only woman inthis

> department and work part time?" i also think "why

> has this not been mentioned in the past 12 months

> and i have never had a personal appraisal etc in

> the 3.5 years i have been here.") I feel like

> stamping my foot.

Is there anyone else doing a similar job to you WOD. If so you would have a right to ask why that person isn't being considered. They can't make you redundant on grounds of sex though that might be difficult to prove. Is there anyone working there for less than two years? It would be easier for them to get rid of such a person without the need for redundancy. Did they give you a letter outlining the threat of redundancy?

There are a lot of regulations companies must follow in making people redundant. If they haven't done their homework they could make a mistake.I suggest you get advice about your rights especially if you are not the only person doing your job. I went through this procedure a few times in the same company and managed to escape each time. One one occasion I wrote off my a own bat a report outlining why the proposed restructure wouldn't work and suggested another one which included room for another person.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> womanofdulwich Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > turns out the meeting was a warning to let me

> know

> > the meeting is this week - so i can arm myself

> > with a taperecorder or bring someone with me?

> why

> > jsut me I ask ? cost cutting they say ( i think

> > "it it because i am the only woman inthis

> > department and work part time?" i also think

> "why

> > has this not been mentioned in the past 12

> months

> > and i have never had a personal appraisal etc

> in

> > the 3.5 years i have been here.") I feel like

> > stamping my foot.

>

> Is there anyone else doing a similar job to you

> WOD. If so you would have a right to ask why that

> person isn't being considered. They can't make you

> redundant on grounds of sex though that might be

> difficult to prove. Is there anyone working there

> for less than two years? It would be easier for

> them to get rid of such a person without the need

> for redundancy. Did they give you a letter

> outlining the threat of redundancy?

>

> There are a lot of regulations companies must

> follow in making people redundant. If they haven't

> done their homework they could make a mistake.I

> suggest you get advice about your rights

> especially if you are not the only person doing

> your job. I went through this procedure a few

> times in the same company and managed to escape

> each time. One one occasion I wrote off my a own

> bat a report outlining why the proposed

> restructure wouldn't work and suggested another

> one which included room for another person.

Hi ! Alan

I am lost, but can you please explain to who are you refering with this message.

Just curious that's all.

Thanks.

I am sorry to hear this. I went through it last year. I strongly advise you to bring someone with you and if you can record the meeting, then definitely do. Ask as many questions as possible.

My redundancy was full of mistakes and officially announced statements in meetings went against the grain of my own redundancy (over quarter of our headcount was been let go). You can go through the redeployment route, I did this, and managed to stay there an extra three months while waiting for a suitable opportunity arise.

The most important thing is to make sure you write down everyting, dates, times, who said what and bring someone in with you, hopefully not afraid to ask questions on your behalf (my colleague came with me, she was ace). You can get the documents and notes reviewed by a solicitor. By the time I came to the solicitor point, I was exhausted from the process and couldn't fight any longer. I decided to just use a solicitor on the company's list, they "off the record" didn't want me to sign any agreement and to engage another solicitor to go against the redundnacy, but I just signed it. I knew I could be rehired again and this was ultimately what I what wanted to happen, so do what is right for you. I am glad with my decision becuase I am now going through the potential rehire process with them. Silly company always letting people go, and then rehiring them :)

You will be fine, just have your friends/family around you, keep records and know what you are entitled to know etc.. ACAS are handy for quick questions.

Slightly off the point -- but Kidkruger, are you saying you secretly record court proceedings, or was that an unfortunate turn of phrase. Recording court proceedings is a clear contempt. A judge WILL jail anybody he catches doing it. That's why court reporters have good shorthand. Anybody who takes a recording device into a courtroom, or tribunal hearing, should also bring a toothbrush.

KidKruger Wrote:

> I think it may be useful to not explicitly commit

> to anything / sign anything until you've done your

> research and spoken to unions/advisors.

> It'll serve you well to be as prepared as

> possible, write your questions down with plenty of

> space to fit the answers.

> Also you could take a small recording device

> switched on before you go in and wrapped in

> something like a tissue so sound gets through OK,

> or use the iPhone voice recording app (this is

> purely for referential use but also if something

> is later contested and you find you need

> evidence).

> In court I use an Edihrol device wrapped in a

> tissue. Never needed to use the evidence but

> useful for reference going forward, it's

> surprising what you think was said but actually

> wasn't (and vice versa).

Shaggy I wrote exactly what I meant.

If I'm breaking the law I will have to rethink my approach.

My understanding has been that it's not illegal to record what you experience and conversations you have, but what IS illegal is the sharing / distribution with/to other parties.

I'll do my won research and see (how near prison I've been).