Inspired by the Daily Mash today - are BBQs a bit rubbish?

katie1997

Are BBQs really a shiiite way to spend an afternoon with everyone pretending to enjoy them?

You all get way too pissed early on because it takes so long for the food to be ready. After your lengthy wait you're faced with a choice of either chops blackened to a cinder or anaemic looking under-cooked chicken.

Don't forget you've also had to provide your own food and drinks into the bargain. Men in novelty aprons brandishing strange looking implements. Anyone?

I was just putting it out there like...not feeling well and a bit bored this Friday...

I DO like bbqs - grilled meats, eating outdoors with friends and chilled beers. What's not to like? Have been to a few dodgy ones though probably best forgotten. Hope people don't cross me off their BBQ invite lists now ;)

Never auditioned for Countdown Strafer, I can't add up quickly.

Nette, where do you get your ribs from?

A friend of mine who takes his BBQ ribs pretty seriously has tried a number of different vendors but always ends up back at W.Rose, do you know of anywhere better?

Incidentally he uses one of these which if I remember rightly has a vat of water between the wood chips and the meat. The smoke rises around it rather than through it, but presumably the purpose is to cool the smoke further.

nashoi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nette, where do you get your ribs from?

>

> A friend of mine who takes his BBQ ribs pretty

> seriously has tried a number of different vendors

> but always ends up back at W.Rose, do you know of

> anywhere better?

>

> Incidentally he uses one of these which if I

> remember rightly has a vat of water between the

> wood chips and the meat. The smoke rises around it

> rather than through it, but presumably the purpose

> is to cool the smoke further.

Brixton Village. Large rack of ribs about 9-12 quid.

Cut through so serves about 4-6 easy

I've just bought the components new to build the S-mokingNette Bin-B-Q ?

The water is to add moisture to the oven and cook the meat, it evaporates as it smokes

I"m going to post my progress on here.

NETTE(tu)

Nette, its fab that you are building your own BBQ, you're a talented ... lady. It seems quite technical all this smoking business but your knowledge is impressive! I'm not practical in the slightest so wouldn't dream of making my own, I was looking at Weber kettle type ones the other week (under 100 quid model) - do you think they are okay?

The whisky marinated ribs sound fab. Just been reading jerk chicken recipes (mmmm, good call Otta) and they say to spritz the bbq coals with beer!

"The water is to add moisture to the oven and cook the meat, it evaporates as it smokes"

Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense. I think I must have been thinking of bongs...or something. Next time I'm invited to a barbie at his place I must remember not to inhale.

Yesterday I dedicated the whole day & night to creating......

THE SMOKE...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg835/scaled.php?server=835&filename=photo8vc.jpg&res=medium Pork Ribs & homemade/smoked Kansas sauce.

I have spent a while ( and some ) researching the whole subject and yesterday was a breakthrough; it actually all worked. And my god, the taste of a huge pistol sized prawn cooked in the smoke is something to behold. The flavour is now seared into my flavour mad brain.

I bow down to it.

I've also had to re-look & re-learn the whole BBQ thing bit by bit. I have chosen the American Southern-style. I can also see why it's almost a way of life. It's cooking but with a whole different feel.

So, here's where I'm now at in my understanding.

1. Hot smoke not direct fire to cook the meat is my requirement.

2. The smoke needs containing in a lidded cylinder

3. The smoke is created from wet wood shavings, this makes steam & heat

4. Marinated meat slowly takes in the smoke flavour as it cooks

5. An easily controlled heat of 250-225 is best ( i've put an oven thermometer inside the bin-b-q )

6. I will never return to a charcoal type barbie again at home.

7 Yes that Webber looks good, I'd love to try one

To build the Bin-B-Q as shown in my previous post I bought; a bin and a cheap electric hot plate. After a bit of modification I had it up and running. I then burnt the whole electric hot plate thing to death ( it just wasn't up to it )

So, a wood fired Bin-B-Q MKII was conceived. I already own a stainless steel fire pit & I have access more seasoned wood than I could wish for, so it seemed logical & more natural to utilise these items.

Cost so far ?31.00

I've cut a 9" hole in the base of the bin which I then cover with the tray holding the wet wood shavings, the whole bin was then placed over the fire. Rain doesn't effect it as the bin covers the fire nicely. The lid covers the food while it smokes, I just keep an eye on it every 10-20 minutes and stoke the fire with logs when required.

The other thing is the sauces. I have the Dean & Deluca cookbook to thank, in all it's got 6 authentic regional sauces. I intend to work my through the lot.

Today for lunch, i'm cooking sea-bass in "the bin".

NETTE(tu)

red devil Wrote:

> Is that the before or 'after' shot?...

Ater r d...

The thing i've come across in all the reading is that the sauces ( kansas city , kentucky black, texas, north carolina western-style, north carolina eastern-style & of course south carolina style ) all go on after or are kept/used hot in a tray to "pull" the meat into.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg18/scaled.php?server=18&filename=photo14mg.jpg&res=mediumKansas City style homemade sauce.

( smoked for 2+ hrs today & it is deeeeeelicious )

In the u.k we are generally bought up on meat which is cooked or bbq'd with the sauce on. The result can be a burnt outer, not surprising really, as the sugars which are plentiful in the sauces or marinades burn/caramelises very quickly.

The hot smoking method is way kinder to the meat, it stays tender for longer as the smoke flavours it. And once set up is actually easier to cook with, it's hard to burn or overcook things.

NETTE(tu)

Annette Curtain Wrote:

> red devil Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is that the before or 'after' shot?...

>

> Ater r d...

thought so, sweetcorn is a bugger to digest.

With all these American themed sauces, why don't you go the whole hog and get yourself a tin of white paint and, hey presto!, instant white picket fence...

red devil Wrote:

> Annette Curtain Wrote:

> -----

> > red devil Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Is that the before or 'after' shot?...

> >

> > Ater r d...

>

> thought so, sweetcorn is a bugger to digest.

> With all these American themed sauces, why don't

> you go the whole hog and get yourself a tin of

> white paint and, hey presto!, instant white picket

> fence...

Saucy.....:)