Confession Time - Daily Mash

StraferJack

I don't like it. There... I said it

I don't like it much, to be more accurate. I get it. I see what it does. It just seems a bit leaden and obvious. It will occasionally raise a titter but I keep seeing "as ever the Daily Mash says it best" and I read the link and think.... really?

I don't think the Onion is a patch on it's former self either but I still find it more amusing

Have you been hacked by curmudgeon again SJ?

I've always thought The Mash is much funnier than the Onion though obviously it follows in their footsteps. Actually lets face it both 'area man' and 'T Jenkins from Stevenage' owe a debt to Private Eye's 'footballer has sex' reports.

I do find it very funny, though like anything that's been going for a bit, the misses are more frequent and the hits fewer. Maybe like TV Go Home before it, it should quit while ahead.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't like it. There... I said it

Really Stafer ?

I bet you've got ONE of these

http://dailymash.shotdeadinthehead.com/images/designs/WRE119c.jpghttp://dailymash.shotdeadinthehead.com/images/designs/WRE104c.jpg and one of these ( as jimmyJams )

All available from The Daily mash website ( as you well know )

MEHHHHHhhhhhh

(tu)

I agree a lot of it is sameish but it is still occasionally brilliant.

I don't want to hijack your thread with a spate of "my fave ever Mash articles" but below is an old one that genuinely had me in stitches at the time and to settle this once and for all I suggest you read the link. If you don't find it funny at its best then I'd go with your gut and give up on it.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/french-trader-was-forced-to-work-30-hours-a-week-20080125680/

What mockney said. It's very funny. "One day I came back to the office at 3pm because I had forgotten my stupid little hat"... you can almost hear the 'Allo 'Allo accent. The last paragraph was a bit unnecessary though.

The Daily Mash = Shit!

The formulaic lampooning of current events using derivative satire and toilette humour is all just a bit crap it was revealed yesterday.

?It was somewhere between the second paragraph metaphor where a public figure is engulfed in effluent or spontaneously putrefies in a humorous description of events which may or may not be related to something I heard on the new last night and the punchy direct piece of social commentary in the penultimate paragraph that I realised, football mangers being molested by gangs of sex-crazed barbary apes with IBS aside, I had pretty much heard it all before and would much rather click on the picture of the girl in her underwear that I have never clicked on before because I always read the website at work.?

Said Jack Mac, a person with a computer and an internet connection, before concluding, ?Oh my god would you take a look at the size of that fucking sentence.?

"Julian Cook, professor of conspiracies so crazy they must be real at Roehampton University, said: "At the risk of sounding like Prince Philip, I suspect it's the Chinese guy from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Come on SJ, that was one of it's little moments of genius.

The merchandise really is abysmal though.

At least Viz merchandise retains a kind-of 'it's crap, it's tacky, so what?' air. The Mash stuff seems to be labouring under delusions of it actually being in some way funny or cool.

really MP? The bar for genius has dropped significantly in that case

the teeniest of inner-smirks was all that managed. Compared to Bren's effort above it just seems a bit easy and weak. Almost like it was spewed out of an algorithm. "Name, title, juxtaposition, quote, minor royal, popular culture ref"

What's the clever bit I'm not getting?

Seriously, the daily Fiver email has more invention. And they loathe themselves

I guess humour is more likely to please me these days now that I'm a simplistic old man with slippers (if i could see them whilst knee deep in nappies).

Seriously though, I'll go back to my youth, mire myself in morose music and be superior about everything, I was waaaaaaay happier when doing that.

blimey missus - I didn't realise things were that binary

Lot's of people on here keep linking and referencing the DM so I thought I'd fess up and say I don't get it. The venn diagram of humour shared with the people linking to it and me is pretty well shared, so I'm almost curious as to why the Mash leaves me cold (hence the thread)