Amy Winehouse passes away.

DJKillaQueen

Seem 27 is not a good age to be a rock star..

Brian Jones , died :misadventure 2 July 1969 age 27

Jimi Hendix Died of (drug overdose) 18 September 1970 age 27

Janis Joplin died of a heroin overdose on 4 October 1970 age 27

Jim Morrison died of a accidental Drugs overdose. 3 July 1971 age 27

KURT COBAIN shot himself in 5 April 1994 age 27

Amy Winehouse Died Not yet established 23 July 2011 age 27

There were many others that died at the age of 27..

Some other that made it a little longer.

Keith Moon died of a drug overdose 7 September 1978 age 32

Mike Bloomfield died of a drug overdose 15 February 1981 age 37.

I'm really sad about this. Been playing her music at home tonight. Raising JD & cokes her way. Such an immense talent but tragically floored. Unfortunately troubled souls aren't long for this world. The latest recruit to the 27 Club. RIP Amy.

Is anyone shocked or surprised?

This thread has attracted considerably more comments than the one about the approx 100 people dead in Norway. I'm interested in what makes us appropriate the death of a celebrity as something we take personally.

I'm not saying that to be callous. It's heartbreaking news for her friends and family. It's a shame that such talent went to waste. But It's not sad for me personally. I didn't know her. And yet my facebook news feed is nothing but all Amy, all the time: no famine in Somalia, no Norway. I'm sure that post-Diana there are theories as to why we do this, but I just don't get it.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is anyone shocked or surprised?

>

> This thread has attracted considerably more

> comments than the one about the approx 100 people

> dead in Norway. I'm interested in what makes us

> appropriate the death of a celebrity as something

> we take personally.

>

> I'm not saying that to be callous. It's

> heartbreaking news for her friends and family.

> It's a shame that such talent went to waste. But

> It's not sad for me personally. I didn't know

> her. And yet my facebook news feed is nothing but

> all Amy, all the time: no famine in Somalia, no

> Norway. I'm sure that post-Diana there are

> theories as to why we do this, but I just don't

> get it.

You hear about, and see celebrities on tv,

read about them constantly in the newspapers (especially if you read the tabloids),

their private lives, where they go, what they do, who they are dating etc.,

Even though you don't actually know them personally, you feel as if you do.

I think that is why people react the way they do, and are are affected by it, when a famous person sadly dies.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This thread has attracted considerably more

> comments than the one about the approx 100 people

> dead in Norway.

Both threads together don't come close to the thread about geese with a liver condition...

I think it also has to be remembered that talented people often have an impact on us in a way that an anonymous person doesn't. Music, like writing etc is often a personal thing for both the artist and the consumer. There is a relationship there.

AqMoon is right in that we feel as though we get to know celebrities because they are in our sights every day, via the press etc. Norway is shocking, Somalia too but I think people feel more removed from those things.

I remember a line from, I think it was, the movie 'Hotel Rwanda' where someone asked why the west weren't doing more to help and the aid worker said something along the lines of, if there is massacre in Yugoslavia, people are shocked because those people look like their mother, father, daughter, etc. If there is massacre in Africa it's just another dead African. That seems to imply that the closer something is to us, the more affected we are. Amy Winehouse is one of us, a Londoner, and could be anyone's daughter, and that I'm afraid resonates more than a country (like Somalia) most people would struggle to find on a map, let alone know anything about. It's harsh (and probably wrong), but that's how it is.

I think Amy Winehouse is a big loss.

How often does a 10 year old child/complete stranger come over and tell you someone has died.

That happenened today - I was at the cricket and was having a drink with a few friends. A 10 year old boy came over and said "have you heard Amy Winehouse has died".

Obviously she was important to him. To me it was a real shock too.