Oxo cubes

Odyssey

It shouldn't bother me, I'm a grown man, but why after all these years did oxo decide that a cube - which is what they are supposed to be - wasn't good enough so they had better redesign the little flavour-saviour in the form of an 'X'?!

Quite apart from the poor sods who had to go around with small fruit knives knicking out the v-shapes on millions of cubes to create this abomination, they have managed to get away with giving us a stock 'cube' (?) which is several micrograms short of what I am expecting. It's driving me up the wall and yes I do have too much time on my hands.

ha ha ha! :))

Maxxi, you'll be over the moon to discover that the good people at Oxo have answered your concerns!!

As follows:

Dear Mr [Huguenot],

Thank you for your recent comments regarding our newly designed Oxo Cube range.

As a Company, we are committed to providing our customers with quality products of the highest standards. We take great care to ensure that our products are released for sale in first class condition and we enforce strict quality controls which are in operation at all times.

We can advise you that the heat sealed foil wrapping machines we use date from the 1950s and we have found that the cubes were becoming too tightly packed, making them hard and difficult to crumble at times.

The trays used to shape the cubes have been adjusted slightly to make them X-shaped which allow more air into the cube and make them easier to crumble. Please be assured that the cubes are the correct weight as stated on the packaging.

These newly shaped cubes are a recent addition to our range and we are closely mo nitoring any feedback that we receive. Details of your comments have been passed onto our Marketing Department.

We value feedback from our consumers and all comments that we receive are taken very seriously and reviewed as part of our management complaint review. This ensures that issues are highlighted and the appropriate action is taken.

We really appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Regards

Natalie [.....],

Consumer Relations Advisor

You're right but I have been seduced by Marmite XO (in glass jar) and so am giving them time to rethink their doomed plastic-squeezy approach to yeast extract containers for now. HP are already in trouble with that bloody guinness fiasco so they're up first.

The trouble with the XO is that it is stronger and much thicker so you're meant to use it sparingly which means the jar lasts twice as long - but it is so delicious you smear it on as thick as ordinary Marmite and go into a yeast-extract-induced trance.

It's like using the Flying Goose Chilli Sauce (previously discussed) not in little droplets to enhance ones chosen snack but in bloody great trails like ketchup. Result is a burning but sated smile and a chilli-induced trance.

However if your situation means Marmite is an exotic import then you may have to settle for the local brew...

I can hear the dull brown-ness of Vegemite calling...

Marmite XO can also be sourced in the Barry Off Licence. I've laid a few jars down.

I approve of the upside-down plastic containers of Marmite, I find one gets more yeast for your squeeze.

My son informed of the Guiness/HP combo and I'm keen to try it - the meeting of two great houses requires investigation. Anyone know where a fellow might pick up some locally? Price of course is no object. you'll not see me scrimping when it comes to important taste combos such as these.