v

MrCheeky

mockney's post was the answer, although fairly opaque

you can't delete a post altogether (unless you contact admin)

what you can do is go back to your post, choose to edit it, then put in a full stop (or whatever else you fancy really provided it isn't just a blank space)

If you click on your own name you go through to a page which gives you the option to click on 'view all posts by MrCheeky'.

Click on this, and scan through until you find the offending post. Click on the headline and you'll go through to the post.

Click on 'edit post' in the bottom right hand corner of your post, and edit as appropriate.

However, this won't necessarily get you off Google I'm afraid. Google 'cache' or save website pages to make it easier for their search engine to provide you with faster results.

This means that changing the forum won't change the saved page in their cache.

There's realistically nothing you can do about this execpt hope that the passage of time de-prioritises the page so it no longer appears on results.

Pace Huguenot's post, Google themselves say here, "The new cached version replaces any previous cached versions of the page." So they're going to have an old version of a changed page only until they next sample it. The Google cache of the EDF Family Discussions Kingsdale thread, for example, now matches the censored version.

On further checking I see that EDF pages contain a 'noarchive' request and that Google honours these. This means that, even if Google do cache a page, they won't make that copy available in the search results. The fact that Google search hits on EDF pages seem not to contain a 'Cached' link goes to confirm that. (Further explanation here.)

So I was wrong in the post above to say I'd seen a Google cached page. Search terms I used, though no longer in the EDF version, do still produce Google hits on the thread. But all that is available from the Google links is the current revised page 1 or, for hits that matched subsequent, now deleted, pages, EDF server's report that the message could not be found. [Added sentence follows:] What I saw in the hit report was a short excerpt (300 characters) from Google's private cache of a deleted page of the forum.

MrCheeky, can you still get a Google EDF hit on your email address? I'm interested in how long they endure. If you do, I think you'll similarly find that the hit report is all you'll see.

Savvy users, btw, tend to use a disposable email address (eg a gmail or yahoo one) in public places where it could be harvested or abused.