Happy Yorkshire Day

Lost Yorkshire Man

Standedge - I went on at least two Geography field trips there

Lions Sport Mixture - Factory was about half a mile from my house - there was sometimes a gorgeous smell in the air on the walk to school!!

Castle Hill - is on 4 of my favourite T-Shirts!!

Kaylai and liquorice is just wrong although mum would argue that I am completely wrong!

I love the Dales - in particular Malham Cove / Gordale Scar and the 3 peaks area. I also have a particular affection for Haworth Moor as it was where Mrs LYM and myself had our first date.

My Dad's Yorkshire puddings - if he agrees i would love to invite you all round to taste them.

Queueing at bus stops

eeee - thes no place like 'ome

Haworth Moor. I camped for 3 days in a little field enclosure a couple of hundred yards behind the bronte house ruin. I left my solo tent there and went off for long hikes and returned to the untouched tent, very quiet at night apart from the wind and (what are probably) grouse.

'Kaylai' and 'spice' are the words my older relation sstill use as a collective noun for Sweets.

When I was a kid I'd go to the chemist for a block of hard liqourice. smash it to bits with a hammer and stick it in an empty 1.5 litre pop bottle and fill up with hot water, leave it a coupleof days and hey presto - liqourice water !

My gran had dripping bread every night for supper, mind you she dies at 66 !

Castle Hill - I think some Indian dudes bought he old pub at the top and turend it into a restaurant or something, with out the correct permissions. I believe it caused an outcry and it was bulldozed.

Standedge - one of the places on the pennien way where you just have to stop for a breather. Kipped there a couple of times in a survival blanket just for the crack.

Malham and Gordale are great as it the limestone pavement (and view down from it) and Penn-y-Ghent and the Ribble valley. Top county basically.

My patch is Huddersfiled, mainly around Paddock, but also Bradley, Heckmondwike, Newsome and Marsden.

Spice was a term we used all the time - I'd forgotten that!

The Indian Restaurant story rings a bell - they ignored the planning permission they applied for and ended up having to demolish the whole thing......at least the 'castle' is still standing.

I'm a Huddersfield Town Fan without really knowing that much about Huddersfield! Although I used to play golf at Bradley Golf Course every week in my early-twenties. My parents/grandparents are all from Heckmondwike and I worked there briefly as a 15 year old.

One thing I have never worked out is what 'sither' means - does this make me less of a Yorkshire Man?

Lost Yorkshire Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Turns out it's not even sither!!

> DADS REPLY:

>

> Ey up

>

> You should indeed be ashamed of yourself, you'll

> be asking who the Terriers are next.

>

> Its sithee i.e see thee or look here you.

>

> Dad

You chump, I could've told you that.

I wish we still used thee and thou to talk to our loved ones. sigh.

My father often used "dozy a'peth " as a term of scorn. It is apparently an abbreviation of "dozy halfpenny-worth of wet cabbage". Poetry.

After 30+ years of living in the Great Wen I am now back in the southern golden acres of God's County, although as the ED schloss remains unsold I still condescend to retain a presence in here...

Yorkshire Day is also Switzerland's national day: they have better transport and chocolate, we have better cheese and cakes.

*airily waves brand new Bramall Lane season ticket!*

"dozy a'peth "

Exactly what my Dad used/uses.

Also used to use Spindleshanks (skinny legs) and Buster Crab too, not sure if they were so much a Northern thing, but my uncles up there used the same. Buster Crab was an actor I believe.

When we had Sunday lunch, My Mum would serve a large platter of Yorkshire pudding with gravy, Dad would eat it, then the Sunday lunch would be served, with the separate round Yorkshire puddings of whcih we'd get one or two each. At my Uncles' houses it was the same. I thinkit was something traditional (and sexist) about the breadwinner keeping his strength up by being fed first/best, though not entirley sure.

I sure as hell couldn't do that in my house, I have a small appetite you see..

Original point of yorkshire pudding was to fill you up so to make the meat go further, and I think, served before the beef. But not heard of someone getting extra yorkshires on their own first. That said, my dad always got the biggest piece of meat and my brothers would get more roast potatoes than me.