Goggle box

mockney piers

Afraid I gave up trying and just watched Virilius Maximus until just after the first fight in Africa when he, Djimon Hounsou and the big German guy are standing in the ring wrist-deep in blood & listening to the crowd's roar, which is when the baby woke up.

Oooh nooo, terrible film.

There has been some other good drama this year, I thought The Exile with John Simm and Jim Broadbent was good, if a little too like the last Abbot/Simm collaboration State of Play.

I tried The Petal Rose Thingy but that was completely incomprehensible, and just got bored of The Shadow Line, though hats off to Rafe Spall for campest villainous turn of the year, most enjoyable.

Yeah, I missed the first few of the original, and much to my chagrin have done likewise with the remake*.

Oh well, I guess a box set coming my way.

*I'm sure originalists will sream blue murder, but from the snippets I've seen the remake actually looks ok. Occasionally the US gets European remakes right, Insomnia wasn't a bad crack at it, and errrr....hmmmmm...

Recording it, so if can work out how to get from hard drive to disk, you're welcome to nab it. I can't compare them, but I'd say it stands up as a good drama series on its own merits - interesting characters well-played, well filmed and fantastic plot-twists already. A lot of which may be lifted from the original, of course.

Oh come now, is no one watching Camelot? The most ridiculous, over blown, good looking, gratuitously naked festival of high camp to hit our screens for a long time. I love it.

That and The Hour. Missed The Killing, so figure I'll catch up on box set.

The Hour was The Ninety Minutes for me. Fell asleep half way through the second ep. Apparently, though, the prog is a BBC pinko plot to portray the 1950s (where thwarted ambition and unearned deference were the order of the day, and women chose and expected to be housewives) as something other than a social nirvana. (cf Mad Hitch in the DM, can't be arsed to link)

I like those BBC4 biopics that, with great elegance and care, absolutely kebab some dead public figure who cannot sue - like Blyton, Hattie Jacques, Fanny C etc Dame Fonteyn came out of hers quite well, though (her mum not so much).

By UK drama, are we counting Holby City perchance. I caught 15 mins of one last week. Had me riveted for at least quarter of an hour.

On another issue can some of you let me into the secret of obtaining those extra 2 hours you get every day. I've only been allotted the regulation 24 and after working, child rearing, washing up and worrying and flirting with Face/Forum I have no time for the GB.

get home, play with child whilst cooking, feed child, get annoyed by child refusing to eat, play some more, check on cooking, give up on child's dinner, throw away wasted lovingly prepared child meal, put child to bed, serve food, get complaining child up, allow him to eat most of my dinner, put child to bed again, watch an hours drama whilst collapsed on sofa, go to bed.

Rinse and repeat five times, add a bottle of wine into the mix on the fifth night, add bathing the child every third night.

Sometimes if full of beans manage 10 minutes on xbox just before bed.

I may have to join quids down the slippers shop.