BBQs

Ladygooner

Chicken satay is lovely on a barbecue... marinade chunks of chicken thigh (not breast) with soy sauce, honey (or peanut butter), garlic, chilli. Make a dip from chopped peanuts, oil, lime juice, honey, soy sauce.

Or "tandoori" lamb chops - marinade them in yoghurt, garam masala, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon juice.

I love jerk chicken, and have made it many times. However, it is a lot of messing about, and you can get some nice jars of jerk sauce. I know that would make certain people tut in disgust, but sometimes you need to weigh up time and effort, against the need to know it's all done from scratch.

Very simple idea is to squeeze a load of lime juice on some lamb steaks, and cook a couple of hours later. Yum!!!

I'd also vote Butterfly lamb leg. The chaps at WIlliam Rose will do it for you. I normally chuck chopped lemons, herbs, garlic and chilli straight into the bag with it and a load of olive oil. Leave for a couple of hours and then whack on BBQ, lid on. Usually done in an hour though not two, but I like it pink.

• 2 months later...