Unnecessary heating of the atmosphere (aka patio heaters)

malumbu

And another thing...

Patio Heaters only seemed to appear following the smoking ban. What a waste of hot air.

So tonight it is baking, 25 degrees mid evening. And what do the chuckers to at my sports club? sit outside with the bally patio heater on. I thought of just stripping naked to prove a point. I've written to the club manager who always has a clever answer. I'd like to have reduced subs to take into account that they are wasting my money heating up the atmosphere. Put a bloomin jumper on if it gets chilly. I'm dreaming of cutting the pipes to the butane tank, or gluing up the mechanism.

Any sensible suggestions. Perhaps I should start a rant on a community web site!

And just to explain, they are gas guzzling global warming Clarkson conspiracy theory types in the outer-boroughs, not us right-on bleeding heart lefties and liberals.

(And before any clever clogs but-in, global warming is only a theory, but a pretty persuasive one, and the risks assoiacated with not doing anything outweigh any counter-argument)

And yes there are eco ways of keeping warm outside on a chilly night such as this.

Since the smoking ban pubs across the country have installed 1000's of these heaters to keep Smokers

sitting outside warm. Semi-covered areas have been built just for smokers.

No longer pleasent to sit outside in the 'Fresh Air'

These heaters are far from green.

At the same time the inside of many pubs have no heating with customers huddled up in coats and scarves. (winter)

My pub has the windows open all through the winter with no heating on most of the time Inside.

When it is wet they pull down the canopys which funnels smoke from outside.. inside.

But last night which was the warmest of the summer they had the windows closed tight.

Manager said it was for the Air-con.. But the air con was switched off.. Too expensive to run ???

Have to keep Smokers happy.. sod the rest of you...

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since the smoking ban ...

> Have to keep Smokers happy.. sod the rest of

> you...

yeah, smokers are having a right touch at the moment.

Blame them for everything, including the destuction of planet earth.

I'm suggesting that whoever you voted for, tehban would have happened anyway. The world at large has generally wise up to the effect of smoking. And even tho some smokers remain bitter I know many more who are glad of the ban as it has helped them

On balance it's a good thing

I have never been a smoker and a small fraction of the people I know are. Some are bitter. Some aren't. Some non-smokers are bitter. Some aren't.

Btw, I don't agree that the world at large has wised up to the effects or if it has, this is not at all evident in some countries I have lived in.

So on balance - and for our good health or that of the environment we live in - are patio heaters a good thing?

I heard on the radio this morning that it is estimated that one in three girls born today will live until 100. One in four boys. Surely the government should be encouraging people to smoke? Otherwise who is going to look after all those old folk in 100 years? Perhaps with the right calculations there could be an age lottery. If you get to 65 you are entered and depending on what you win, are deactivated at 70,75 etc. The winnners are allowed live as long as possible and get the best treatment on the NHS.

katie1997 Wrote:

> So on balance - and for our good health or that of

> the environment we live in - are patio heaters a

> good thing?

No.

They scorch the top of my head, and are the cause of my rapid hair loss.

definitely....

granadaland Wrote:

> yeah, smokers are having a right touch at the

> moment.

> Blame them for everything, including the

> destuction of planet earth.

I blame them for making my hair smell. Stinky fucking smokers.

granadaland Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Since the smoking ban ...

> > Have to keep Smokers happy.. sod the rest of

> > you...

>

>

> yeah, smokers are having a right touch at the

> moment.

> Blame them for everything, including the

> destuction of planet earth.

Not saying smokers are to blame for the destruction of the Earth...

Patio Heaters help towards that...

Not many establishments had them before the Smoking Ban..

Now they are everywhere

Patio heaters installed by pubs to keep smokers warm on chilly nights could soon produce as much carbon dioxide as a small city, it has been claimed.

Next month's smoking ban has triggered huge demand for the gas-fired heaters from pubs, restaurants and clubs creating legal outdoor smoking areas.

But according to experts, a single heater releases more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere each year than the average fuel-hungry "Chelsea tractor" - a large 4x4 car.

They estimate the additional patio heaters bought by pubs this year could produce up to 320,000 additional tons of carbon dioxide.

That was back in 2007 .... READ

Ah yes, then the 'experts' turn out to be... British Gas (anxious to prove their own energy saving credentials by pointing the finger elsewhere) and the sample pubs they looked at were in... Scotland (it's cold there) and the assumption about a 'small city' is based on British Gas's estimate of how many pubs would buy a patio heater, then suppose they bought two - I mean what kind of crappy science is this? Oh yes - The Mail's kind of crappy science.

I suppose the heat that keeps non smokers warm IN the pub is totally carbon neutral is it?

It's also true that if every pub got all their punters who smoke to stop coming to the pub and so were able to get rid of the patio heaters then they could all close down through lack of revenue and turn into nice flats for nice young non-smokers.

It's bad enough we have to smoke outside now leave us the fuck alone!

DulwichFox Wrote:

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

>

.... READ

well i read the paragraph and i think you must be taking the mick.

what makes you think patio heaters are installed to keep smokers warm?

oh yeah, the daily mail says so.

how many were sold before the smoking ban?

come to think of it you must be right, because since the smoking ban every pub in the area has installed patio heaters.

there's so many that come to my mind.

maxxi Wrote:

> It's bad enough we have to smoke outside now leave us the @#$%& alone!<

Of course your right, we should leave you "the @#$%& alone".

In your own house or flat preferably, which no doubt would smell even worse were you to inflict the 500 odd chemicals + the smell of your rancid habit on only yourself.

But no, you come out to a very nice pub garden/park/outside space ( the closest we get to fresh air ) and sit there puffing away on your shite brand of choice, turning the air rancid and making every other persons space, whether they want it or not, more toxic.

Of course it's currently your right to do so, but we hate you. That's us, the ones forced to stay indoors or up-wind & you and your likes whinge and moan about human rights.

You disgust me, why not stay at home next time with a can or a bottle or two.

So yes, It's bad enough we have to put up with you smoking outside, but please now leave us the @#$%& alone!

Personally & if it were legal, i'd gladly Taser anyone who did it near me.

Other than that; how was your day ?

NETTE:)

* swishes hair, files nails *

ahhh, carry on ingesting your ethanol fix.

and turn the much beloved english public house into a private members health club.

at least the community has managed to strong arm most of the local pubs into striking foie gras.

mines a pint of san pellegrino please.

inside though, I'd love to enjoy dusk but there's smokers out there.

and they're ruining our lives...

Annette Curtain Wrote:

> maxxi Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

>

> > It's bad enough we have to smoke outside now

> leave us the @#$%& alone!

>

> Of course your right, we should leave you "the

> @#$%& alone".

>

> In your own house or flat preferably, which no

> doubt would smell even worse were you to inflict

> the 500 odd chemicals + the smell of your rancid

> habit on only yourself.

>

> But no, you come out to a very nice pub

> garden/park/outside space ( the closest we get to

> fresh air ) and sit there puffing away on your

> shite brand of choice, turning the air rancid and

> making every other persons space, whether they

> want it or not, more toxic.

>

> Of course it's currently your right to do so, but

> we hate you. That's us, the ones forced to stay

> indoors or up-wind & you and your likes whinge and

> moan about human rights.

>

> You disgust me, why not stay at home next time

> with a can or a bottle or two.

>

> So yes, It's bad enough we have to put up with you

> smoking outside, but please now leave us the @#$%&

> alone!

>

> Personally & if it were legal, i'd gladly Taser

> anyone who did it near me.

>

>

> Other than that; how was your day ?

>

>

> NETTE:)

>

> * swishes hair, files nails *

So glad you didn't stoop to ridiculous hyperbole just to show you're determination not to be poisoned to death by armies of smokers pinning you to the ground and breathing up your nose.

Of course if you got your way and smoking was banned in areas outside pubs/restaurants the patio heater problem would still exist and probably more so because, according to you, there would be legions of 'fresh air' freaks fighting to get into the 'garden/park/outside space' so more patio heaters would be required.

I didn't say anything about human rights but I suppose you're the kind who believes that throwing that into any/every argument makes you a post modern political heavyweight rather than a neurotic whinger who is permanently frustrated at the world not going the way they would wish it.

And my day was fine, thankyou.B)

*lights up stinking Chernobyl of a stogie and walks s-l-o-w-l-y past pavement cafes*

maxxi Wrote:

> So glad you didn't stoop to ridiculous hyperbole

> just to show you're determination not to be

> poisoned to death by armies of smokers pinning you

> to the ground and breathing up your nose.

>

> Of course if you got your way and smoking was

> banned in areas outside pubs/restaurants the patio

> heater problem would still exist and probably more

> so because, according to you, there would be

> legions of 'fresh air' freaks fighting to get into

> the 'garden/park/outside space' so more patio

> heaters would be required.

>

> I didn't say anything about human rights but I

> suppose you're the kind who believes that throwing

> that into any/every argument makes you a post

> modern political heavyweight rather than a

> neurotic whinger who is permanently frustrated at

> the world not going the way they would wish it.

>

> And my day was fine, thankyou.B)

>

> *lights up stinking Chernobyl of a stogie and

> walks s-l-o-w-l-y past pavement cafes*

Gosh...

Yes, walk s-l-o-w-l-y as you'll be gasping for breath after that.

Anyway, yes "freak that I am"

I meant to say ban the heaters as well.

( and you know the smoking ban is coming already....ah haaaaaaa hha ha haaaaaaaaaaa )

* searches handbag for Taser *

NETTE::))

I think Nette is in the gang that sees smokers making them PHYSICALLY SICK.

There are of course many irritants in daily life, but I strongly suspect that outside smokers are pretty low on the list of things that are going to shorten anyone's life.

Much higher on the list of people who attack outside smokers unnecessaily should be bad attitude. It's going to kill you.

I have often asked the question of smokers: what physical enjoyment do you get from smoking? Can some of our local addicts bullet-point me some reasons, feel free to be as descriptive as possible as I would love to understand the habit..

As with driving a car, it doesn't need to be rational. Sometimes I just smoke to assert my right to.

I don't care if it costs me seven minutes, or years in an iron lung. People who complain that smoking outside a pub makes them PHYSICALLY SICK have overcooked the omelette. I smoke out of spite.

I understand the smoky house thing. I don't even smoke inside my own house. I'm the only resident. Ridiculous, but it is pongy, and I don't like the smell. It doesn't make me PHYSICALLY SICK though.

It is a drug, so I guess there are pharmaceutical arguments.

Mainly I just enjoy it.