Leasehold help needed - Section 20

Red78

Can anyone advise me on this: I own a leasehold flat in Dulwich. The new property management company did a survey of the building, coming up with thousands of pounds worth of repairs to be split across four properties. Although I absolutely agree that the work needs to be done, what are my rights about how and when to pay? Will I have to pay all the money (almost ?10,000) up front, or is there a more gentle payment option in these cases that I can push for? How safe is it to hand over that much money to a company like this?

Thanks!

Firstly i'd get independemt advice as to th ereal cost of the repairs required.

The work may need doing but are you (all) getting a fair price.

Unless there's a leaseholder's fund for yo all to beneft from theyn I would expect the tradesmen/building company will want their money either as the work progresses (otherwise they're having to fork out up front for all the materials) or at the very latest, when all the work is done.

Mgt companies are notorious for not getting best deals for the leaseholders, you may have a great one looking after you but it's worth asserting for yourselves, as a 'clutch' (?) of leaseholders, what the best deal really is and whether you can influence proceedings in your favour.

Become a member (?12 a year) of Leaseholders Association of Southwark. Then write to them for advice on this.

They're very, very good.

However, I am not 100% sure but they may only be for council flats, ie where the landlord is Southwark.

Anyway, good luck to you. LAS will be Google-able.