Anyone fancy yarn bombing Peckham and East Dulwich? CANCELLED

maryearlam

Hi

I've been reading threads over the past few days about community action etc and an idea has formed in my head and I wondered whether anyone else is interested?

Yarn bombing is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk. It was initially about reclaiming and personalising sterile and cold public places but has developed worldwide to enable people to make statements in a happy and fun, non-permanent way. See www.yarnbombing.com for a clearer idea of what I'm talking about.

So - my idea is to 'yarn bomb' Peckham and East Dulwich. Possibly on the one month anniversary of the riots (ie 9th September). It's a sort of stick your fingers up to the rioters in a way they're probably not expecting. So I need knitters to help. I'm not sure exactly whether it would be a huge mural as a statement or if we get loads we could just randomly cover places that are appropriate (Near places that were smashed up).

1. Is anyone interested or am I as mad as a hatter

2. Does anyone know of a community place that would accept and keep people's knitted bits until the 'yarn bomb' night

3. would anyone be up for helping put the knitting up.

If you like the sound of this maybe you could start knitting. My idea would be to knit squares and piece them together around things or as one big mural. But if you are a wonder knitter (im not) you could do whatever you wanted.

What do you think? PM me or add to the thread and when I've had some ideas I'll come back to the forum in a few days with a plan.

I am working on this now.

Tote bags

The smaller-sized bags are for use with Zimmer frames/walking frames, and the larger size to be used on the back of wheelchairs, for use by elderly in residential homes. An opportunity to put to good use any spare blocks.

Bag for use with Zimmer frame

Bag: finished size 14" x 14". An ideal opportunity to use up any unused blocks, say 10" or 12", with borders added to make up size. When making up, allow up to 1/2" seam allowance for strength. This can always be trimmed down slightly after stitching if necessary to reduce any bulk. (The finished bag will consist of outer fabric, wadding, lining.)

Straps: These need to be finished length of about 18" each (4 straps) x 1/2 " wide, so cut 20" strips x 2" wide (fold raw edge in on one end per strip, then fold sides to middle (1" wide) then in half (1/2") for strength, topstitch all round close to edge).

Attach each strap either side of side seam on bag, before lining is added, secure with a couple of rows of stitching for strength. Topstitch round top of finished bag for extra stability and strength for straps.

Large tote bag - for use with wheelchairs in residential homes.

Bag: finished size 15" x 15" + 2" added gusset OR 17" x 17" with 2" seam across corner, to give gusset. Add seam allowance. Make the gusset in either one long strip (45" x 2" plus seam allowances) or in three sections (15" x 2" + s.a.) Again, ready made blocks can be used, made up to size with added borders. Cut scant 17" x 2" strip of stiffener to go in bottom of bag, secure to seams with a few tack stitches before lining is added.

Straps: make exactly as for the Zimmer tote bags (the same size) and attach in the same way.

The smaller-sized bags are for use with Zimmer frames/walking frames, and the larger size to be used on the back of wheelchairs, for use by elderly in residential homes. An opportunity to put to good use any spare blocks.

Bag for use with Zimmer frame

Bag: finished size 14" x 14". An ideal opportunity to use up any unused blocks, say 10" or 12", with borders added to make up size. When making up, allow up to 1/2" seam allowance for strength. This can always be trimmed down slightly after stitching if necessary to reduce any bulk. (The finished bag will consist of outer fabric, wadding, lining.)

Straps: These need to be finished length of about 18" each (4 straps) x 1/2 " wide, so cut 20" strips x 2" wide (fold raw edge in on one end per strip, then fold sides to middle (1" wide) then in half (1/2") for strength, topstitch all round close to edge).

Attach each strap either side of side seam on bag, before lining is added, secure with a couple of rows of stitching for strength. Topstitch round top of finished bag for extra stability and strength for straps.

Large tote bag - for use with wheelchairs in residential homes.

Bag: finished size 15" x 15" + 2" added gusset OR 17" x 17" with 2" seam across corner, to give gusset. Add seam allowance. Make the gusset in either one long strip (45" x 2" plus seam allowances) or in three sections (15" x 2" + s.a.) Again, ready made blocks can be used, made up to size with added borders. Cut scant 17" x 2" strip of stiffener to go in bottom of bag, secure to seams with a few tack stitches before lining is added.

Straps: Make exactly as for the Zimmer tote bags (the same size) and attach in the same way.

Fab idea! I have a fair few odds and sods that would be perfect! any size in particular? Could try getting some uptake from sharpworks in Herne hill or moo too? I can email a few friends as well who might like to help. keep us informed x

I was imagining leaving it up for at least a couple of weeks and then taking it down when its starting to look messy. Unless of course someone takes it down before that.

Peckham and ED was a suggestion depending on how much knitting we get. If it's not much I'll make a mural and hang it some where significant. If it's lots of bits we can maybe stretch it to different places. So ...... If anyone wants to start knitting please do as the more we get the brighter and better and more ambitious we can get.

Many thanks to those who have responded so far.

Hi

As promised as I'm coming back with a plan (well sort of!). Basically I'm not in Internet contact for a couple of weeks and so won't be able to check messages etc but what I was thinking/asking is .....

If you are interested in getting involved with this idea please start knitting. Whatever shape, size, wool colour you wish. If you could PM to say you are knitting that would be really useful.

When I'm back in computer access land I will respond to anyone who contacts me to collect the knitting and find out how much we actually have.

So ..... It would be great if you could spread the word with fellow knitters and then we can do something great.

Many thanks

I don't think it's just you PGC. I think there's a real element of surprise and delight to yarnbombing (providing it isn't left to fester) but I think imposing it on an area that you're not directly connected to could smack of superficiality.

Getting the kids of Peckham involved is a great idea. maryearlam, why not talk to Peckham Space to see if they could get involved - free art workshops for kids in Peckham that are in need of more funding - that way it could be a genuine community project making a real difference?

For everyone else wanting to do something nice in Peckham, they're crowdfunding at the moment and need more money. If creativity's your thing, please give generously.

First of all I would like to let all those who were interested in helping me with the yarn bombing that I have decided not to go ahead with it. Sorry for wasting your time but thank you to responding positively.

I can't even be bothered to write a response to those that have been so negative. Good luck with the ideas you put forward about youth involvement.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Who said it is cancelled?

We can all alter the title IF we think we have the

rite, but do you?

eh?

There are followers that are interested in this

project.

Maybe start up a project yourself? Sounded like a good idea.