The game-season has started.

Annette Curtain

Lest we forget...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/images/cache/redgrouse_male_300_tcm9-142369_v2.jpg "Is it that time of the year already"

Yesterday was the Glorious 12th

For all you lovers of the best from the country....

The game-season "officially" has started.

And did you know there was once a Grouse train ?

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/39/76/397667_649fb596.jpg

* dreams of a roasted partridge *

Indeed it is. But what a shame it is that the firearms laws in this country are so unnecessarily restrictive. Now that's something you people should get your Parliament to debate on. Interestingly, since arriving in the UK my wife and I are finding it rather odd not having our gun cabinet close to hand.

If Obama and the Democrat henchmen try to take my guns from me then they'd better bring a bloody tank.

Indeed, just imagine the stiff resistance those rioter would've met if home and business owners had the luxury of being suitably armed. It reminds me of how those Korean shop owners in Los Angeles admirably defended their property during the 1992 LA riots that sparked by Rodney King's controversial arrest.

I think if you want to rub along in the UK during your stay here, it would be wise not to address the locals as 'you people'.

It seems that the majority of US citizens grew out of the desire to have a comfort blanket at the same time as they stopped sucking their thumb. As a grown adult I can understand that this creates anxiety for you, but really, it's for the best. Aren't you just a little bit embarassed by admitting to this?

Whilst we're on the subject, isn't it rather silly for a grown man to put the 'rat' bit in Democrat in bold? I'd expect it of an eleven year old, but... please. ;-)

All this 'pry it from my cold dead hands' stuff is for muppets isn't it? Real men don't need to walk down the High Street pushing their chest out at passers-by, surely?

I consider myself Anglo-American on account of being English, but having lived there for the last eighteen years, raising children there, I consider it home. We're only here so that I can oversee the development of the European procurement arm of the company I work for (Xe Services, formerly Blackwater). With all due respect, we look forward to returning to North Carolina.

And "all this pry it from my dead hands stuff" isn't for "muppets". It's entirely natural to possess weapons. To suggest otherwise would be niave to say the least. Though I don't (and never will) buy into the whole concealed carry culture that's so prevalent in the state I (normally) live in. And I'm not in the least bit embarrassed by my position on the ownership and willingness to use firearms to counter a threat. I'm entitled to use whatever means necessary - where legally permissable - to defend myself and my family.

PS. The Democrats are childish fools, thus the intentional (though admittedly childish) highlight.

It's just silly.

Supporters of the right to bear arms construct wilfully daft arguments based on 'principle' as you have here.

There are 10,000 gun murders a year in the US, and only 10 in the UK.

If you wanted to 'defend yourself and your family', you would support gun legislation.

In fact, you don't. The reality is that you are willing to sacrifice your family on the altar of your anxieties and ego. This reality must be very hurtful, and it may lead you to deny it almost pathologically, but it is nevertheless true.

What you consider to be stregnth is in fact weakness. It is a tragedy of the US that this particular, almost pathetic anxiety is so widely accepted that you're willing to kill 10,000 people a year in support of it. Very sad.

How on earth can you surmise on my motives (and whether or not they're justifiable) for owning weapons from behind your keyboard? My guess is that it's pure supposition, rooted in what I can only assume is a sense of comparative inferiority. Thus I genuinely pity your family.

Oh, and it would seem that you got your stats from Wikipedia. How "pathetic".

I guess that's what I expected Ricky. No sensible response, just butch posturing.

The comment about Wikipedia is inane. Not only did I use the UN figures, but it's actually irrelevant.

It is typical of gun nuts that you'd choose to ignore the 10,000 people dying every year because of the US's ridiculous position on gun legislation in favour of trying to score points on which websites people use. It's moronic.

I can see that being a 'big man' is important to your sense of pride and self-worth. What you need to do is make that leap of imagination that recognises guns are for scared little boys, not big men.

Then by your reasoning members of the armed forces are "scared little boys", which considering the sacrifices many of them make on our behalf, is a rather selfish - not to mention arrogant - point of view.

And there was no "butch posturing" on my part, either. I entered into this thread on good terms, only to have my sleeves tugged at by a passive-aggressive bore i.e - you.

And how have you come to the unfounded conclusion that I'm a "gun nut"? If I were to follow a similar train of thought, I could only assume that you're a spineless doormat who's clearly lost a friend or loved one to an aggressive home invader, so attacks (out of a sense of long-harboured frustration and guilt) anyone who retains the means to defend themselves and their loved ones.

See? More silly arguments. Your infuriated response is a reflection of the weakness that you try to camouflage with braggadocio.

Because your position on having guns in the home is indefensible, you try to change the argument into one about having an army. It's just rubbish.

By definition if you want to have a gun in your house you're a nutter. You only need to look at 10,000 people dying every year, and the fact that if you have a gun you're more likely to be killed by it than ever use it on somebody else.

Since this is obvious, you must be a nutter to persuade yourself otherwise.

I recognise the 'scenario' approach of your final paragraph. Really it's a form of masturbation.

The ridiculous nature of the scenario is that, of course, the legislation to allow the home owner to carry a gun is the same legislation which means that your attacker is likely to have a gun. Given their intrinsic criminality, they're also more likely to use it than you.

All you've done is escalated the situation and made it much more life-threatening.

It's all a bit pointless of course - because the proof is in the 10,000 people dead. 10,000 a year, think about that. Think about the total over a few years. It's a tragedy that the 100,000 people that died over the last decade are no longer alive simply because of the ridiculous arguments that people concoct that essentially boil down to flexing your biceps in the mirror.

It's tragic that you're prepared to sacrifice your family just for the sake of a hand shandy.

Eh what? This is bonkers.

Just about the only thing I've done is refuted your arguments.

The fact is that all the evidence exposes pro-gun ownership arguments for the fallacies they are.

The bizarre thing is that people like you can actually put forward these arguments as if you actually believe them. It's absolutely bonkers.

You've actually come to the UK, get this, you've actually come to the UK which has 10 gun deaths a year and claimed that we should have more guns to protect ourselves.

Do you know how stupid that sounds?