Advice pls on how to get cat to use cat flap!

emc

Hi there

we have a new cat and need her to start using her cat flap as we go on hols soon - she will not go near it and have only got her through it was by more or less shoving her, poor thing. If you have any tips I'd be really grateful. thanks

Stop trying to shove her through it, that will probably make her love it even less. Put some food on the other side or even leave it open for a bit so that she gets used to coming in and out. Leave her to it and don't go stressing about it as she will probably pick up on that.

Have you considered going through it yourself and asking her to follow? Remember, a leader without any cats is just a woman having a stroll.

Perhaps a bit of a chat about rights and responsibilities? Ask her to write down her fears as a way of externalising them?

Forbid cat - using all known techniques - from using catflap under any circumstances, put precious work papers down on far side, lie by catflap as though this is the only place you get a bit of peace and quiet if all else fails bolt and padlock catflap - this will ensure cat uses flap in record time.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This thread has made me really want to watch Top

> Cat again. Does anyone know if it's on an channel

> these days?

"Okay, Chooch you keep an eye out for Dibble, Fancy you sweet-talk the feline in question, Spook you're in charge of picking the lock, Brain distract the householder and Benny if Dibble shows go into your lost Aunt routine. Okay let's move it, move it, move it!"

"Gothca TC"

"She'll be putty in my hands TC"

"Like er, far out TC"

"Duh, okay TC"

"Sure thing TC!"

http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20FRD/TopCat3.gif

This thread has made me lol...

I had to do this many years ago with a cat that was used to having the door opened for it every time it went in and out, but there was no longer anyone there to do that for her constantly.

Bribery was the only way. Put cat on one side, you on the other with a box of treats. Hold catflap open, rattle treats and peer through flap at cat (s/he will probably look at you as though you are a complete idiot). Also, make it the only exit for the cat - so no open doors or windows anywhere. Our cat looked at me as though I was an idiot for a couple of weeks (this exercise does take time), but eventually put her head tentatively into the flap to retrieve a treat from my hand and when she at last realised that she could get through it without coming to harm, took to it as an exit with no further problems. Although her preferred method of regaining entry remained yowling through the patio door at my Dad when he was sitting in his armchair. And he, the softie, would get up, unlock the door, and let her in *rolls eyes*

Good luck!