Laser eye surgery

Cazz

Good afternoon.

I have spent a traumatic, to me as eyes freak me out, 2 hour consultation at Optical Express.

In order for me not to need reading glasses immediately it has been suggested I have my dominant eye lasered and the other left to preserve reading.

I have a contact lens in one eye to simulate the laser surgery the other eye untreated.

Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that has had this done.

I know it is early days the corrective lens only having been in 5 hours.

I would really value enyones experience of this.

Thanks

cazz

I am a speccy four-eyes myself, but have never been tempted to have the cut.

The main arguments for are convenience and cosmetic, neither of which is close to a life-saving criterion. I've also heard people say that very few actual eye-surgeons undergo the process themselves (but that's not proper evidence, I admit).

As Salsaboy points out, long-term outlook is poor, and there may be impacts on night-vision and hence night driving etc. The technique is hard-sold by high-street providers, but see http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/mar/26/laser-eye-surgery-risks-consumer-affairs

As with most 'optional' health care treatments, I'd wait a good 50+ years from when it came into mass use for any longterm effects to become apparent before doing it myself.

With regards to short-term effects, I know approx. 5 people who have had it done and all but one are absolutely delighted with the results.

The person not thrilled with her results (I don't think her vision was completely corrected following the laser therapy so still needed glasses) had to return for further treatment but has had no serious ill-effects.

Personally, I'd avoid high street therapists, as they have '??' on the agenda. Have you considered going to Moorfield's for assessment?

I had just one eye done about 6 years ago. For me, was the best thing ever, it's wonderful to see clearly without the need for glasses or lenses. Although it does mean I can no longer say I haven't seen someone I want to avoid!

My circumstances were not the same as yours (I was short sighted) but I had the laser eye surgery on both eyes earlier this year and have been really pleased with the results. From experience I know that Optical Express are very pushy & high pressure with their sales pitch when you're having a consultation with them; I had one a few years ago and decided not to go ahead with the surgery back then. If I were you and feeling uncertain, I'd go for another free consultation with Optimax or Ultralase before making a decision. I had mine with Optimax and their consulation was so much more relaxed than Optical Express, no pressure to make a decision. I was pretty happy with their service overall and their prices were more competitive than Optical Express as well. Good luck whatever you decide!

I opted for both eyes to be corrected and use reading glasses for close up.

Went with Optimax after having consultation with Ultralase as well.

Can see a fly on a cow's bottom at 300 metres.

Went for both eyes to 20/20 instead of different in each eye....I don't find needing reading glasses too onerous.

I and one of my business partners went as a package and got them down by 50% on price and took their 0% offer over two years, silly not to!

8 months into it now and can say it worked for both of us really well.

I had laser eye surgery in May, best thing I ever did. Bit sore that evening but ok by the following morning, eyesight good enough to drive within 48 hours and near 20/20 a week later. Too young for reading glasses so spec free for now, though expect to need them at some point in the future. No problems with night vision and I know people who had it done years ago that have had no problems.

I went to the advanced vision centre on Harley St - had heard bad things about the pushiness and quality of the work done at some of the high street chains - didn't want to take the risk. A friend went to Moorfields and also spoke well of them.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He tried to kick himself a few years earlier, but

> he missed.

Yep, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn without his specs. My father had quadfocal lenses that had to be specially ground, were expensive, and took ages to order as only certain companies could fill the prescription acurately. Now he just wears lightweight reading glasses and is really pleased.