Help with driving positioning

KPR

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me.

I've been learning to drive for a month or so now and I'm great with my maneuvers and speed control (not to fast or to slow) However I have one fundamental problem that I can't seem to sort out... My positioning in the road.

It seems that my perception of how close my car is to parked cars, and where about in the road I am is somewhat warped. When in my lessons my instructor is constantly telling me to move over but when I ask him to explain how I work out my distance he just says 'I should just know' he hasn't really given me a logical explanation of how I can improve the situation.

Has anyone got ant tricks or tips they can give me to sort out this problem. I have my test booked for a months time and I really need to get this sorted out.

It would also be good to hear if any of you have suffered similar problems.

Any help much appreciated.

KPR

Getting that spacial awareness can be tricky and part of it will just come with experience. And you'll relive it every time you get in a new car and have to get a sense for its width and length. Are you OK with the front/back spaces (e.g. when you're parallel parking?)

What I'd suggest is finding a relatively quiet side street (with cars parked) and drive down it where you would feel comfortable. Halfway down (obviously with nothing behind you) stop and stick the handbrake and hazards on. Get out and take a look at where you actually are. You might be surprised to find that you're further away from parked cars than you think - or a lot closer. And when you open the door, you'll find out how close to the central line you actually are - or aren't.

The other thing you can do is go to a car park and take a couple of cones (or bottles) and literally place them the width of your car so that you work on your sense of how 'wide' you are in the vehicle. That should then help you once you're on the road since you should be more comfortable.

I used to imagine a car of similar make/size driving down the road ten yards in front of me - then take note of where his/her off-side is in relation to the middle of the road and (assuming he/she is positioned correctly) place my off-side on same line.

Then one day I hired a Transit van, drove down a street with parked cars either side and promptly lost the near-side wing mirror!

Hi KPR..

Yes it can be difficult no matter how long you have been driving as your position is constantly changing.

You need to look straight ahead of you and emagine there is a gap you have to get through.

If you look to your left at the parked cars, you will drift into them...

That is why your instructor is constantly telling me to move over.

You need to adjust this when there is another car coming towards you.

On a main road there will generally be enough space for you to pass.

On a back street it is always best to slow right down to a crawl or even stop to let the other driver to pass.

Just watch those wing mirrors...

Spacial awareness does come second nature eventually.

Good Luck with your driving and your test.

Fox

Loz, yes I agree my instructor could do more to help me with this however he has been very good with everything else so I'm reluctant to change instructor.

Applespider - Yes I seem to have no problem with where the front and back of my car are.... I guess that thats because I'm generally looking in that direction... I can't however see any of the bonnet and was wondering if this could be part of the problem... think Im just to short... maybe I should try something to increase my seat height. Great ideas about getting out and taking a look though... will definitly try this.

Maxi and Dulwich Fox - I'll definitly try to think more about the space in front of me and imagine where my car will be.... It might help to try 'Applespiders' cone idea alongside this.

I'll try some of these ideas tonight with my instructor and let you all know how it works out.

Thanks so much guys.... massive help.

KPR

best not to do this in the middle of Lordship Lane though.

For the vertically challenged and spatially unaware amongst us, complete with personalised livery...

http://www.draglist.com/photoimages/spokane2002/Mr.%20Magoo%20is%20running%20stronger%20than%20ever.%20Went%20to%20semifinals.%20Photo%20by%20David%20Hapgood.jpg