The Good Ship Weare

Dee Woffaz

Apparently our prisons are full to capacity at the moment with convicted & remanded prisoners resulting from the riots. I wonder if anyone has thought about buying back ?The Good Ship Weare?, HMP Weare was moored off Portland to help with prison overcrowding in the late 1990s. The inspector of prisons thought the conditions were too poor to house prisoners. It was eventually sold off in 2005 to a Nigerian oil company to house oil workers. Conditions too poor to house prisoners but clearly not for honest working people in another country. Bought at premium, sold off cheaply??

Would these conditions be too poor to house rioters who think it is ok to deprive others of their homes, business, jobs and their basic human rights?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............... you think? Half the people rioting had no idea who was in power & have no concept of politics.

'the Conservatives or whatevvvveeer', and how they are "showing the rich we can do what we want". "Good though, innit?

Classic!

I agree with you MissNoodleshats on this one, those who have deprived others of there businesses and their homes do deserve to lose there liberty but I can?t believe that the coalition really think it has nothing to do with some of there policies. Its funny how Prince Charles see the underline issues and the coalition do not want to.

Thanks, its just a general point, it needs to be made though over and over on the blogosphere. The letter to Cameron's parents on the other thread totally exposes the brass neck of these people. If we are withdrawing benefits from rioters as a result of criminality then we should have removed all expense benefits from politicians for a period of 18months, and apply some kind of limit to the period of stay for all news international executives. Why not? An eye for eye and all that.

David,

maybe i should have read the BBC news web page too. 2000 is very few in grand scheme of 83 and a half thousand. My question is do we think another prison ship would be a viable proposition to house short term convicted rioters, not who is responsibe for making people roit.

Ridgley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Very true blue collar crime is judged far more

> harshly then white collar crime that has not

> changed over the centuries.

On the other hand, white collar crime often carry some more intangible punishments - generally loss of career with the associated loss of earnings for the rest of their working lives. Most white collar crime involves an abuse of trust, so you will find these people will never be allowed into such a position ever again.

You also find Loz that white collar worker, are quite wealthy so losing there position yes it is a form of embarrassment to them but they live quite well not heard of a lot of them on the poverty line like below a few examples.

Will Strauss-Kahn

The Hamilton?s

Jeffrey Archer

Maybe the Murdochs

For the super rich, yes, they will survive. But 99.9% of white collar workers don't have that kind of money. For your general white collar worker earning just into the 40% tax bracket then it is not just embarrassing, it is career ending. And that is a massive punishment.

Ridgley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Like I said Loz never heard of any White Collar worker on the breadline, they still tend to live

> comfortably or they just go abroad.

You have a weird definition of a white collar worker. There are many, many white collar workers on minimus wage.

So how would a white collar worker, convicted of a white collar crime, "still tend to live comfortably or they just go abroad."?? They are finished. End of career. Game over. Most skills are no more transferable abroad than most blue collar workers (some rather less so) and any trust an employer would have in them has gone.