Buying a house - from Southwark council

Cam123

Hi, we're thinking of putting an offer in on a property in the area, the vendor for which is Southwark Council. Was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to the process for accepting or declining offers within the council ?

We basically think the house is over-valued and want to put in a low offer, but wonder if they will always refuse low offers until it has been on the market a considerable time and the market has shown it to be over-valued. We unfortunately just do not have the time to wait around for it...

Any thoughts?

Goodness only knows what the process is for this, but there is no reason to expect it to be any faster than other Council processes which in my experience have overrun. Add to this that it is the month of August and people are on holiday and you are not looking at a recipe for a rapid response.

My suggestion is to go ahead and make the offer that works for you and then put it out of your mind and keep looking for other things. If they get back to you with an acceptance before you've found somewhere else then great, certainly don't bank on it. If you like you could give them a "time limited" offer, but I doubt it would change their behaviour.

You say you're on a tight schedule but, with all the will in the world, it will still take you ages to find another place and work through the process so you may as well whack your offer in on the Southwark house and get the clock ticking on that.