North Dulwich

CheekyBugger

I note that North Dulwich doesn't appear on the maps. Does it really exist or is it actually Herne Hill? I understand the train station being called North Dulwich since there is already a station called Herne Hill and it's 'north of Dulwich Village'. Have the locals adopted the name because of the train station? It does sound better to be North Dulwich and must increase house prices. I know residents in Sydenham Hill were trying to get the name of the station changed to South Dulwich, which as an area doesn't exist like North Dulwich. I think the residents said it was because people were mistaking the station for Sydenham, but I wonder if the name of Dulwich was more to do with it and an increase of house prices?

It's very simple. There is an area called North Dulwich which is not Herne Hill. You suggestion is the same as saying that there is no such thing as EAST Dulwich, because it is actually Peckham. The Sydenham Hll thing is a red herring because there is no real South Dulwich, unless you want to call most of the Dulwich College land South Dulwich, which no one else really is all that bothered about.

And Dulwich Village is basically the centre of all of the above. That everyone in E, N, W & S Dulwich aspire to.

I think North Dulwich is just the name of the station, but the area around it has unofficially taken on that name. It's not an unusual phenomenon by any means, London is full of examples.

The station is tecnhincally in SE21 (Dulwich), but it's right on the border of Herne Hill, East Dulwich, and Camberwell. So if someone says they live in North Dulwich, I guess it could really be in any of those areas.

The rounds around Sydenham Hill are quite expensive enough without any silly name changes.

Frankito - you're right, I walked through DV half an hour ago and it was absolutely dead. ED is definitely preferable.

I've always found DV completely soulless, and would hate to live there to be honest (although I'd love to be able to afford to!).

As an aside, my band played at a wedding near Tonbridge last night, and we came across an East Peckham.

North Dulwich.

The station although useful to the nearby Villagers, was not a place to be associated with Dulwich Village a sleepy isolated place that had beforehand had no direct link to the outer parts of this area.

It does use the SE21 Post Code.

The station has become a place to use as the population has increased, but stands alone. It is a fact that there is only two that use the prefix North Dulwich. Those being;

4th North Dulwich Brownies.

St Stephens Church. College Road SE21.

The North Dulwich Lawn Tennis Club.

154a East Dulwich Grove, North Dulwich, London, SE22 9TB.

Neither in North Dulwich.

Interesting that the residents of the Village did not want Traffic lights or a Bus route to pass through the Village,

But they did because it was North Dulwich Area.

Best of both worlds are gained from living in SE22 part of dulwich village - woodwarde, dovercourt etc (for proximity to dulwich park, east dulwich shops and north dulwich & herne hill station- which has fast train to victoria-which is excellent) or SE24 part (close to herne hill station and nice shops and dulwich park)..

where i live is ED is great -near dulwich park and only 10 mins walk into main LL but bus service is poor and is a real disadvantage. There is no direct bus route to herne hill or the village and the P13 bus is very infrequent (to get towards the village) . LL is the real gem of ED and I guess you could partly include Bellenden and Peckham rye park/common.

ED station links are average. Denmark hill/peckham rye stations are more useful but it takes a good 15-30 mins to get there from upper part of LL...

I think most of Dovercourt comes under the Dulwich Estate - the section that runs from Court Lane - Woodwarde.

Desefans and Dekker do. A section of LL from the Library to Court Lane used to be under Dulwich Estate as I remember people complaining that they had to pay extra towards the Christmas Lights in the village and vague recollection that those properties were mainly leasehold

Bil - I agree with your verdict on the best of both worlds approach balancing ED shops, Dulwich Park and transport links.

I'd put more slightly emphasis on transport (daily use) and less on the park (weekends).

The roads near North Dulwich station (I won't say the roads in North Dulwich) are pretty good from this perspective: Red Post, Ardbeg, Beckwith, Elmwood, Wyneham. Easy access to Denmark Hill, North Dul and Herne Hill stations, so King's cross, Victoria and London Bridge all within easy reach. Short jog through the village to the park. The hubub, tat and occasional delights of Lordship lane are a short stroll away so available on demand.

Bit less lively though, and I gather that a lot of people there are unbearable snobs.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would be interested to know why anyone thinks

> that Dovercourt Road is in Dulwich Village.

>

> John K

Dovercourt, court lane, desfernans- are in Dulwich Village ward and are really close to the village

where i live- dunstans, is in ED ward

Underhill is in college ward (but not that close to the college really)

Senor Chevalier-lol (wrt snob reference). I agree that transport is the main issue and I think that is reflected in the house prices. When we were looking to buy- none of the Dulwich estate properties even came into our internet searches because they were out of our price range (I assumed that none of them were on the market but now realise I was so wrong!)

i just looked up dulwich estate- court lane gardens is part of it but not court lane, 50-58 Townley road are also included...the estate has part of some roads and not of others... i am intrigued.

Dovercourt Road and its houses were built on land acquired by the Dulwich College Estate. Likewise the houses in Townley Road between Beauval Road and Calton Avenue.

Because the Estate owned/owns the land it does not make it part of Dulwich Village. Thinking it does muddles land ownership and location.

Many years ago I bought a freehold in Matham Grove. The land was owned by a small parish church in Norfolk. I don't think that part of Matham Grove was ever in Norfolk.

John K