Santa Claus In East Dulwich (Booteeki)

LibraCarr

Hi,

I popped into Booteeki (the shop if you have little one's) yesterday and had a look at the preparations for the arrival of Santa this weekend. It is really nice and cosy. With sheepskin rugs on the floor it looks very warm and inviting, and is very different to the usual Grotto. I took my nephew last year and it was magical. On the fireplace were real mince pies and on the floor next to Santa's side were fresh carrots with the stems on for the reindeers. Not only do you get a present, some gold chocolate coins (if you are really good) but a autographed photo of Santa as well. Also, if Mums and Dads are not to busy they can send a email to Santa on Christmas morning (for their little ones) and he will reply the same day.

On speaking with one of the owners she told me that people return year after year, and it has got to the stage where they now have to take bookings.

Santa is at Booteeki, Melbourne Grove on the weekends of the 8/9th and 15th/16th although the second weekend is extremely busy. We are going this weekend as when its quieter I think you get a little bit more time.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh how sad can some people be, is this what life in East Dulwich is all about? I like traditional things. I am really sorry if I have banged on about this Santa thing, but other contributors bang on about why has the Hi Fi shop put a barrier outside their shop, or getting refused entry into a green festival on Goose Green, or why was the Iceland shop closed. It is so easy to criticise other people contributions, take a deep look at yourself, can you say that you are perfect?

I await your reply Mark.

Merry Christmas Mark!

Libra Carr

Blimey Libra! Sorry if you've been offended but *Bob* just asked why macroban had brought your other posting up and I answered him. I have no idea what you are on about when you say "take a deep look at yourself" etc etc in respect to this and like i say I apologise if you were offended by me pointing out the obvious.

Merry Christmas

Is there any word on the quality of the Booteeki Santa?

Personally, I hope he's ruddy-faced and smells of whiskey and Park Drive fags.. but I suppose he's probably some skinny vegetarian handing out gift-wrapped energy-saving light bulbs.

Hello again,

I can tell you that Santa is very good. He is billed as the real Santa. When you listen to the owners of the shop, and how they enthuse about him, then take your little ones and listen to him it is amazing. I read the article in today's Metro. An interview with Santa, the Santa that is retained by Hamleys Toy store. He could do with sitting with the Booteeki Santa.

The Booteeki Santa tells the little one's that they must be good, they must tidy their rooms, they must help thier Mums and Dads, and with the parents look out into the night sky, beyond the birds, beyond the planes and you will see a little twinkling light. That is Santa on his sleigh. He encourages the little ones to draw him a picture so that he can put it on his log cabin wall, and then....gives them chocolate, a signed photo, and a present. This Santa also answers on Christmas day emails from children (via the parents email address) and tells them what he is doing!

Can you name any other'Santa' from any store, arcade, mall, that does that?

Regards,

Libra Carr.

ps. Evidently, he had over three thousand emails last year from children/parents when he was on channel four and other gigs, he has appeared at the opening of St. Pancras International station this year, and is pencilled in for either the Jeremy Vine or Chris Evan's Show on BBC Radio Two.

Hi,

He is at the shop this Saturday from 12 noon until 2pm (I phoned the shop to confirm for you). They do recommend that you book. They allocate 15 minutes between each 'audience' and the actual time is about 10 minutes, so I think that they would squeeze you in.

Regards,

Libra Carr.