keeping chickens in ED

Big D

Hello, this is my first post here and wondered if I am in the right section, anyway, I have started keeping chicken and am now getting lovely free range eggs from my "girls". Does anyone else keep chicken in the local area? I am having challenges such as getting layers pellets from their favourite suppliers at a reasonable price locally. Is there a local chicken community to share ideas and advice? Is anyone thinking of keeping chickens?

I built a fox proof run for when I am out LadyD and let them have free run of much of the garden when I am in, and they go in their house at night. Frankito - it is good for the garden and most of it is in the house on a tray which just gets dumped in the composter. They are messier than the dog but it is recyleable!

oooh oooh we have already been down that route

chicks need more equipment, different feed and you may get a cockerel as they are not sexed until about 6 weeks old depending on breed.

you would be better off getting Point of lay(POL)chikens as they have usually been innoculated and are a few weeks from laying eggs (18-22 weeks) we went down to Kent to chose our own chickens http://www.arkbirdsandbeeskent.co.uk/

and picked up feed and sundry items at the same time, you need to provide transport for them e.g cat carrier will hold about 3 chickens

and in answer to Frankito - it is a common question even asked by females who should know better, the cockerel is only for fertilised eggs, and chicks!

they probably dont have use of a lounge/dining room, bathroom cupboards or drawers like you did though Sfh

We looked at battery chicken but as they are also pets for our daughter we wanted them to have more than a 50/50 chance of surviving - they would be at least 72 weeks old if they come from a battery farm and beyond their "commercial" life They also predominantly come in one colour whereas ours are at least 5 different varieties so we have different egg shapes sizes and colours

Thoughts of your Chicken.

We do lay the daily eggs to be taken,

I know why, to have with their bacon.

I get upset as they break the shell,

but I like the cooking of the smell.

If they boil a light soft breakfast,

boil too long, then it will burst.

Have bread soldiers cut ready to use,

if cooked too sloppy, half you loose.

Some like to have their eggs fried,

with some fried bread on the side.

Others like to have them scrambled,

with chopped tomato mixed entangled.

You might like it poached, neat and round,

Have two on toasts will make a round.

One way is to make an omelette,

some say that is the best you get.

A hard boiled egg preserved in a jar,

bought over the counter at the Bar.

Eggs are pickled in a salty brine,

with a drink they go down just fine.

We sometimes wonder if you had no eggs,

this question asked and often begs.

Do you ever think of us broody chicks,

as you tuck into your egg and chips?

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Frankito - think of an egg as a chicken's period.

> It arrives regardless of whether a cock is around.

Is this why some women like a bit of coddling around that time?