3rd degree burns to my jam pan

Laddy Muck

Left a batch of plum jam for too long: result super-burnt base.:-$

How the hell does one get rid of this black mess please? Have searched the net and done many of the things suggested (e.g. chiselling with various implements until my arm went numb, soaking, boiling with vinegar and lemon juice, plus of course the pots/pans cycle on the not-so-useful-in-this-instance dishwasher).

Any advice gratefully accepted as I really do not want to throw away my pan.

Would like to avoid harsh chemicals too.

Thanks.

Ariel Automatic on the go upon cooker as per our Arsenal supporting Lady. Will try the baking soda trick should that not work (simmering water has turned black - a good sign, I reckon). I notice the Woman's magazine includes LadyG's tip - from "The King of Burnt Saucepans" - no less. We shall see!

Many thanks Lady Katharina van der Wotsit and Doc.

OK...this is embarrassing...

The washing powder trick had improved things a bit, but not nearly enough (burning is BAD), so - after dinner - I decided to give it another go: i.e. to simmer another batch of water containing Ariel Automatic. Ahem...I got a nattering on the phone until the smoke detector reminded me of the (now dried out) contents of the pan. The inside of said pan now resembles the surface of Jupiter. Weirdly, there is a faint whiff of sulphur too. I can no longer see black, but a creamy yellow encrusted pan base. I think the original black, burnt, jam remains underneath. Any ideas? :-$

I really do not want to throw away my trusty jam-making pan.

Try it again LM - cover bottom of pan in bio washing powder, add inch or so warmish water (to activate it - a bit like yeast in bread) soak for a few hours - probably best you don't cook it - and then scrub. Probably need to do it 2 or 3 times now but the enzymes will eventually eat away at your goo (ooh missus).

If you're not in a hurry, you could try a method which worked for me by accident.

I wrecked a pan similarly and couldn't get a satisfactory result, like you.

So I stuck it in the garden until I could think of a solution, and forgot about it.

18 months or do later I came across it while trimming back a bush and thought I'd give it another go at cleaning, it'd be outside mainly over winters.

Cleaned-up like brand new, I was amazed.

The other method I think could work as a LAST resort is get some Spirits Of Salts from Dulwich DIY and pour that into pan. It'll sizzle probably as it's 37% Hydrochloric acid, be real careful with this stuff it doesn't take prisoners.

Maybe research first on dodgy residues that can left behind, but my guess is after a Coyle of rinses the pan'll be fine to use, I'd a little tarnished (assuming it's non-stick).

This is what I find works. Simmer the pan with bicarb of soda for an hour or so. Pour soda and water out and LEAVE TO DRY OUT COMPLETELY for a week or so. What happens is that the charcoal cracks and flakes as it dries out...and then it can be chiselled off relatively easily. It is a bit of work but if you really want to keep the pan it works.

Yeah, KK out back 'trimming a bush' bought back memories of the great Privet Hedge thread. This one has added plums, though. And a 'jam pan' that's seen better days and might never be the same again.

I think now is the time to slip in a 'cucumber relish' joke.

Well I'm truly astonished! Left the pan overnight to soak with Ariel as per ooh-missus-maxxi, Arsenal-supporter-LG and Doc-who-likes-women's-mags, AND the results are already quite incredible. On first sighting this morning, the pan no longer resembled the surface of Jupiter (you were right maxxi). Water had turned into a brown vomit-like consistency - complete with "bits". Smelled OK though. On scraping the bottom of the pan with a metal frosting spatula, to my amazement, I have - with minimum effort - managed to remove around 2-thirds of the original black, caramelised, burnt jam. The newly exposed base doesn't appear to have suffered AT ALL. It's astounding!

So, feeling more confident but mindful of the harshness (in chemical terms) of Ariel, the pan now soaks with bicarb as originally suggested by Lady Kat and seconded by DJ. We shall see.

Interesting to hear that non-bio powder might have worked too Salsaboy. I shall bear that in mind should the need arise in the future! And KK, your anecdote made me laugh: but I honestly cannot wait several winters LOL!!!!

DC, it looks as though I might just get away with not having to purchase a new pan. It's looking good.

As for you Loz, Huggie, and now-famous-to-Guardian-readers-Alex-K, the three of you (goaded on by the incorrigible maxxi) are an utter disgrace to this forum. And I shall be reporting you in due course. Moreover, I'll have you know that my plums are in tip top condition! Well, there were - until they got caramelised to a cinder. Ahem.

Laddy Muck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for you Loz, Huggie, and now-famous-to-Guardian-readers-Alex-K, the three

> of you (goaded on by the incorrigible maxxi) are an utter disgrace to this forum.

> And I shall be reporting you in due course.

Why thank you, LM. I have to say, I've worked hard to be an utter disgrace, and my due recognition is long overdue.

*bows*