Virgin broadband

KC

Mine stopped at 10:30 today and came back about 10 mins ago. I rang an hour ago and they said there was an area fault and should be back on by 8pm. Just saying so if it stops again you know it should be sorted by 8. On the plus side if you complain every time they reduce your bill for the next month!

aha, mine went down on Saturday and again last night. It was working again the next morning. Green tick flashing which means it not locking onto a signal (or something!) Good to know it's a known problem and good tip sophisofa!

My experience is it's literally a lottery with Virgin. When the service fails no-one really has a clue although they try to sound advised and informed. Visits can be scheduled and you take a half-day off work to see no-one knock on your door, then 5 mins before the scheduled end of day visit the 'engineer' calls to say he's been busy and can we do it next week.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the number of times a thread is started about

> virgin being down has totally put me off ever

> considering them

>

> You would think there would be similar numbers of

> people having problems with Orange/Wanadoo or

> whoever - but it always seems to be Virgin

Now SJ can you clarify is it Virgin you're upset with or people starting a new thread?For what's it's worth I have Virgin and been with them for years. The number of times we've had a problem you could count on one hand. I wouldn't change to anyone else as I'd be afraid of losing the good speed we get with Virgin.

ETA Cable service

I have this problem too. Spoke to virgin yesterday and they booked an engineer. Having seen this post I called and asked about local faults, they said there was none and hadn't been any in the ED area this week. I have only had virgin for a few weeks and regretting it already.

That's a bit crazy as she definitely said there was a known fault due to be sorted by 8. Maybe you're in a different part of ED to me? I'm on LL opposite police station. Or maybe your flashing lights on modem indicated a different kind of problem and she/he knew it wasn't area fault related? What time did you ring? I rang about 2.30 I think.

I called Thursday night initially but was last night when I called to check about local faults. I'm further down near ED station so maybe not the same area. What annoyed me was that because I can't take a day off work I have to wait until the 17th to have an engineer come and fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Me & my wife are new in ED. Next week we are moving in. I am thinking to go with the Virgin fiber broadband. I'll be living in dog kennel hill. I'm considering virgin broadband because of the relatively high upload speeds. What would you all advice me since I'll be a first time broadband user.

Thanks

Oguz

Anyone in ED getting Virgin BB right now ?

My connection failed around 0815, can't get WiFi via iPhone / home server either so I guess it's my service connection.

Called Virgin and while waiting a pre-recorded msg said Southwark and Lambeth are having issues which engineers are working on, so decided to wait a while since they appear to already be aware of some local issue.

> Green light was flashing, turned everything off and I'm on-line, though somewhat intermittently.

If you're talking about an ADSL (using standard BT phone line) modem, the flashing green light probably signifies an attempt to connect usefully to the equipment at the exchange. If it fails, first thing to do is check whether your phone line is down or noisy for even phone calls. If not, just carry on retrying. Some modems will do so anyway, hence the continuing flashing green. Doing a cold restart is worth a try, just in case the modem was stuck in a particular state, but I think the succesful connection you got then was more likely to be coincidental. I'd guess they're playing around with equipment at the exchange end, if things are still intermittent.

Your modem log might have some useful information about your line condition; intermittent noise or low signal on your line is another possibility, more likely if it appears to be chronic or maybe associated with wet weather.

Virgin. VIrgin bought NTL. NTL bought Videotron. Videotron built the Network in East Dulwich. Unfortunatly they used untrained itinerant staff who did a really bad job. This was why HOMECHOICE couldn't come to ED at first - the bandwidth wasn't good enough. The navvies dug holes next to trees - and left them. and Trees then fell down. It was a bad time to be a pedestrian in ED !