Do we want a cinema?

jim_the_chin

I know it's se23 but don't lounge me!

Every day i go past the Capitol pub in forest hill and every day I think what a shame it is a cinema no more. It has fantastic architecture, a great location for us ED'ers (upper east side especially) and, er, well it wouldn't be that manky old pub any more. I know there's the multiplex and the ritzy near-by but it's such a prime location it's a wasted opportunity.

So i dropped wetherspoons a line here:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/product/suggestion.php#section-header

and wondered if anyone wanted to do the same.

I know what you mean, but I like it as it is, a nice quiet pub with great staff, decent beer and good grub! :))

There's tons of good cinemas less than an hour from East Dulwich, the Electric in Brixton and the Prince Charles spring to mind.

Also there's not one decent working class pub left in East Dulwich they've all been ruined, so lets hope this one is left alone eh?

What did you say to Weatherspoons, Jim? Have you asked them to vacate the premises so that you can turn it into a cinema? Or have you asked them to run the pub as a cinema?

I'm going to guess that the reason the cinema closed is that it isn't a viable business.

Charlie

I think i asked whether it could fulfil both functions and pointed out it would be a real flagship bringing loads of publicity for JDW. I have no designs myself on doing anything.

The picture house in clapham has a small bar attached, this place seems large enough. Other bars, like the sun and doves, also seem to be able to show films so the licensing probably wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the equipment and running costs would be prohibitive.

Maybe it wasn't viable in the past but I'm guessing now there's more disposable 30-something income in the area than when it closed down.