Wifi radios?

MrBen

I've kind of switched off the telly and have become a bit of a radio geek, especially DAB stuff (6 Music etc) and weird online stations from far flung corners. The amateurish but eclectic WWOZ Jazz, local to New Orleans, tops my current list along with strange preacher, gospel stuff from the deep south.

I've always had a particular soft spot for those old looking radios like the vintage Roberts series and secretly wish they could recreate a comforting hiss with DAB. Anyways...my current DAB set is great for most things but for the online stuff I don't love streaming radio through any kind of mac or PC. It's somehow not the same.

So has any one got any experience with wifi radios and if so, tips on a decent one? I thought my dream set would be this one, a combined DAB/Wifi from Roberts in retro styling but it's had mixed reviews for usability? I'd like presets and a line in and ideally, something that doesn't look like the dashboard of a Boeing 747.

A second option is to stream my Ipod touch (using TuneIn radio) into a standard Roberts DAB which is kind of cheating but might give me the same effect....!

Any pointers much appreciated.

Was hubbie's choice but we've got a sonos which can play wi-fi radio and spotify playlists/random searches and even radio programmes after they've aired (a bit like iplayer - I use it for just a minute/ISIHAC while cooking!) and control it all from our iPhones). Only got one at the mo but hoping to get a second one for the kitchen at somepoint. Doesn't have the retro look but isn't too ugly!

I pick up channels via TuneIn Radio on iPhone.

Then I stream this signal from iPhone via Bluetooth into a QED uPlay (bluetooth) receiver attached to a channel of my amplifier (I use the video channel as I've no fancy TV stuff).

It works great. You have the advantage of using the phone as a channel index and remote control.

You can play your iPod/iPhone music this way too.

In bedroom I have a standalone Bluetooth speaker which picks up same signal, less volume but same selection of radio channels / record collection.

I have thepure evoke flow http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FA05YU/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=3413770429&ref=pd_sl_1glxiezt35_e.

Very happy with it, I bought the external extra speaker and wifi is fun. But find I use dab much more. There is a portable rechargeable one I got for my dad and he loves it. Cheaper and I think the best wifi radio http://www.technologyinthehome.com/Shop/Music-AND-Audio/340-Sovos-SVWFPIR-Portable-Wi-Fi-Internet-and-FM-Radio.html.

Hope this helps

I recently had a weekend at a Roberts wifi-radio-owning household and whilst the machine was groovy in itself, I'm not sure I would fork out extra cash for one if I had tune-in radio on a smartphone (and by "if" I mean I already do)

If you have a portable speaker dock or a roberts already in place which you can attach, I would say the interface alone on the TuneIn app makes it far, far preferable

The Sonos options (and similar) mentioned all look good at what they do, but it's a different requirement (at a not-insignificant cost)

If I was in a position where I was ripping out the interior of a house, I would consider throwing some cable under the floor to most rooms, just as a good-to-have option in the future

Thanks people - some stuff to investigate further.... ;-)

As an aside, a good reliable wifi connection across the house is a must and I'm struggling with that. Like many, my Virgin modem/wifi router (Netgear) comes into my front room where the TV is but reception in 1st floor rear bedrooms is patchy. I've tried switching to a new channel and raising the router as high as I can but it seems my walls are rather sturdy. And a router on the mantelpiece is downright ugly.

I'm seriously considering a cat 5 connection as you suggest Strafer, to a second wifi router on the 1st floor...but all seems a bit much!

My favourite internet radio station by far is Radio Paradise. An amazing home made radio station run by a married couple from Paradise California. Great selection of music!

At present I have a Bush WiFi radio (very plasticky and not great to look at!) but it's cheap and does the job. Am hoping to eventually get a reconditioned vintage radio with wifi/DAB radio installed. Great company called DabHandRadio will put in the DAB?WiFi radio inside any old/antique radio case!