broken wedding ring

coldsoup

Hi all, I just wanted to get some peoples' opinions on this.

The stone from my wife's wedding ring recently fell out and was lost. The ring is only 4 years old but the jeweller is saying it is natural wear and tear and so can only offer a goodwill discount of 10% for sourcing a new stone and resetting. It was quite an expensive ring and the quote for a new stone/resetting is very expensive too.

Is their offer reasonable? or is it reasonable that we should expect a lot more than this?

I find it hard to believe a jeweller is claiming natural wear and tear for the loss of a stone on a wedding ring (which is surely designed to be worn on a semi-permanent basis over a lifetime) after only 4 years. If it were in a claw setting and the claws weren't wrapped tightly over the stone, it's possible for them to become prised up through snagging on clothes etc, and the stone to become loose that way - but you'd have thought your wife would have noticed if it was snagging on things. If it were a cabuchon type setting, it really shouldn't come loose if the setting were secure enough in the first place.

The offer doesn't sound particularly generous, but I've never been in your position so can't really comment. What I would do if I were you, is take a trip down to Hatton Garden and source a replacement stone yourself, you can ask around for a price to reset the stone at the same time. That way you'll know whether you're original jeweller is offering you a reasonable deal for the cost of the work (regardless of discount).

I'd ask a jeweller - if you can get to Hatton Garden I'm sure you'd get a professional opinion.

To me it seems unreasonable - particularly if the stone is a valuable one - the setting should be secure, although regular checking is always a good idea. My wife's engagement ring in now 23 years old - and one of the clasps did fail about 5 years ago, but the remaining three held the stone in place.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We plan to visit Hatton Gardens for some second opinions.

The stone was in a cabuchon type setting from an independant designer jeweller. In an email exchange, the jeweller made an analogy to an expensive pair of designer shoes, and that one should not hold the designer at fault if the heels wore down over time. I found this quite outrageous.

My wife is obviously quite upset by all this, not only with the loss of the stone but also with their customer service.

Sounds as though the ring was not fit for purpose, ie everyday wear for a lifetime! If an independent expert can verify this then you could make a claim against the Jeweller, although I'm sure it wouldn't come to that.

I have used a chap in Hatton Garden for valuations, he is a nice chap and works predominantly as an expert witness in jewellery cases in court. Happy to pass on his details to you.

If you dont fancy that route, Is it covered under your house insurance policy?

coldsoup Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the jeweller made an analogy to an

> expensive pair of designer shoes, and that one

> should not hold the designer at fault if the heels

> wore down over time.

That's a completely unrealistic analogy (it would be closer if the heel fell off!). A wedding ring is clearly going to be worn every day and so must be suitably durable. But did they know it was going to be worn as a wedding ring? If they did, then they would have to take account of reasonable expectations of its ability to function for the purpose, and despite the divorce rate I would expect 20 years plus for normal usage (ie office work, domestic life but not manual labour). Just because something is 'designer' doesn't mean it should be flimsy - quite the opposite.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just

because something is 'designer' doesn't mean it

> should be flimsy -

Its funny you should say that because in her same email, the jeweller actually makes that very excuse! and yes, they knew it was for a wedding ring.

Anyway, ClareC, if you could pm me the details of the chap in Hatton Garden, I'd really appreciate that.

Unfortunately we cannot claim the ring under home insurance, and at the moment we are wondering whether to pursue this under the 'Fit For Purpose' route since the jeweller is so steadfast . But it's really a path we'd rather not go down.

No problem, his name is Barry Sullivan, His number 07860 277 829 or 0207 242 6766

His office is in New House, Suite 15, 2nd floor, 67-68 Hatton Garden

Give him a call to organise an appointment.

Ive used him on a couple of occasions now.

Good luck