Dental Hygienist Referral

srisky

So, I went to the dentist for the first time after many years (slap on wrist) and I have been referred to the dental hygienist (amongst other things) and no doubt I need that referral after some neglect :-S

However, the cynic in me wonders whether this is something that dentists advise new patients, as it's an easy way for the practice to make ?50. Oh, I have been told that I may require 'a few visits' to the hygienist..mmm...

I think it depends on whether you do what you're told or not. I've never been sent to the hygienist but the other half had to go for a few sessions until the emptying chequebook taught the brain to listen a bit better and follow the advice to the letter. (And I'm hoping someone doesn't read this or I may be in for it.....)

If you get told to go more than 3 times then either you're being ripped off or.......

Srisky,

Did the cynic in you check the mirror? When you look at your own smile in the mirror do you think "Nice, pearly white!" or "Jeez, is Fagin the impression I'm making?". Seriously though what actual work did the dentist say you needed? Why did you decide to go in the first place?

Hygienists came about because dentists as in dental surgeons got sick and tired of doing all the nasty, smelly digging around in poorly cleaned mouths. They realised that they could spend more time on the real money making and restorative work they were trained to do if they got someone else to do it.

If you've had concern about your oral health and your own attempts at improved, more regular cleaning, flossing and mouth-washing hasn't made enough of a difference then a visit to the hygienist is worth it if you care. If you've got significant plaque build-up then the hygienist is the one to shift it, after that your own (improved) preventative practice should do you fine.

If you don't believe them get them to take a photo and show you the issue. Some practitioners even use video nowadays. If they're not willing to show you the issues they believe you have then find a better dentist.

Personally ?50 now is way better than ?20k+ on full restorative work after rotted teeth are extracted/excavated and jawbone shored up. If it gets that bad there was another thread a little while back about dental tourism to Eastern Europe.

Good luck.

Hi tog-in-sox, I agree with you that hygienists definitely have a role in dental care and it allows dentists to get on with other aspects of dental care. Also agree that ?50 is nothing compared to extensive work etc.

You will see from the first sentence of my original post that I readily accept that I may need a referral to the hygienist and I will be making an appt!

I think I apply this level of cynicism to anything that I don't have much understanding of, have to put my trust in someone else for and fork out ??? - analagous to giving your car for a service and they tell you you need new brake pads, the transmission is gone etc..

Why did I decide to go? Because it's an important part of my health, which I have been ignoring (for no particular reason) and the longer you leave it the harder it it becomes to go. The other thing I had noticed was food was getting stuck in front of my (impacted) wisdom teeth on both lower sides and that can't be a good thing in the long term. No pain, sensitivity, bleeding though.

So what other work do I need? Replacement of a crown, which was done when I was about 10yrs old when I broke a tooth (when I fell) and possible referral to KCH for extraction of my lower two wisdom teeth (ouch!). Neither of which I question.

Re: pearly whites or Fagin impression - I think Fagin but someone the other day actually told me they admired my pearly whites, which shocked me and I still can't see it but there you go, I guess most people have a warped self perception. However, I am aware that looking good superficially doesn't equate to being healthy.

Incidentally, are you a dentist or affiliated to one? In fact, were you the dentist that treated me?? Actually, don't answer that! :-S

Srisky - I think it depends where you go but at my last dental practice they would not keep patients on their books if they hadn't kept up to date with yearly or six monthly (cannot remember now!) dental hygienist appointments. But maybe some places (as in your case) have a requirement for new patients to go along if they haven't been to a dentist for a while.

Hey srisky,

Funny you should mention the mechanic analogy as it came to mind during my first reply, all that sucking of teeth and sizing you up for the type of mug you might be, what kind of BS they could lay on you to get that ?1000 bill of services.

As it happens I'm not a dentist or a hygienist but alas I'll cop to my Dad being one (retired) and two of my mates are currently. None of which means I have any interest in convincing others to go for anything other than necessary treatment. I last was in the dentist's chair about 3 yrs ago and prior to that it was probably 6+ yrs. I haven't had a filling in over 20 and I definitely haven't been blessed with strong teeth, it's just down to good day to day maintenance and that doesn't mean crazy amounts of scrubbing, buffing, digging and swilling. I don't use an electric toothbrush either but then I don't drink tons of tea or coffee nor do I smoke either.

Whilst it might be a good precautionary measure to get the wisdoms out, how wise it is to get the students at KCH to do I'm not sure (my mates both qualified from there with a heap of hilarious horror stories). Sure you might get the busty Asian student kneeling in your lap (see previous thread) but I think that experience might be more likely from some dodgy general anaesthetic ;) Seriously though you'll be fine and many dentists might well refer you there if you're on a budget or to save their aching backs.

The present contract is such a pain that it's not surprising that many dentists are being picky about patients they sign up, also the downturn has affected their income so again they'll be looking for patients who will keep the revenue flowing.

Good luck with the gnashers.