PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks! Bike's fine, it landed on my foot! Wasn't

> going fast as I was braking slowly to turn right

> when I hit the diesel. Saw it clearly when I was

> lying right next to it! So why'd you give up

> biking then?

Gave up in the early 80's

Cost of keeping a bike and a van/car and no where safe to keep bike.

Got used to not having it. Often think about buying another...

Insurance would be high now after so many years not riding.

Still have nowhere to keep it apart from on the road..

Fox

Glad you are OK Rose, diesel is a nightmare on a damp day.

Looked out of our flat on Overhaill at 1:00pm and said to Mrs Randombloke (who's been a biker for 30 odd years) glad I'm not on the bike today. I'll keep an eye out for that when I ride to work tomorrow morning and turn into Dunstans Rd.

Same thing happened to me on Old Kent Rd 6 weeks ago, hit a patch of diesel at 15 mph and dropped the bike, smashed the headlamp, bent the footpeg and twisted the handlebars. Saved by a decent jacket, armoured trousers and good boots and gloves. Just a few bruises and having binned a 500cc whilst practising emergency stops for the DAS Mod 1 2 weeks before I am convinced good gear is really crucial.

Well done to the people who helped.

I LOVE this forum. A friend of one of those who stopped for me and picked my bike up, has read this thread, as her friend told her about what happened and then she goes and reads it on here, so I was able to tell her to thank her friend for stopping and helping me. Hoorah. I shan't waste bandwidth with the photos of the fabulous bruises.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was indeed alright because (and this

> sounds smug but please take note if you know other

> bikers) I was wearing good motorcycle jacket and

> boots which protected foot from getting totally squished!

Not smug in the slightest, maybe somebody will read this and learn from it.

Good to hear that you're OK.

PR - I'm genuinely glad you are unhurt (and have the PMs to support your good fortune)

Now - don't take this wrong... (and I'm sure I'll take heat for it)

But starting a thread like this in the main ED section before it got moved? Those hundred of views (wow!) are mostly people wondering; "surely there is more to this thread than somebody announcing they are unhurt after an accident involving nobody else? There isn't? oh FFS!"

And to say "bikers - wear a jacket" is sound advice. But if you need to borrow someone else's phone afterwards, maybe you could add that to the list of essentials instead of commenting in a condescending manner about a couple of teenagers in the back of a passing 4x4

Sean you are a pain no matter what name you use. I started the thread in ED section because I wanted to thank the people who stopped and helped me. And I was in East Dulwich. There may have been a connection. If not, then Oh My God I made a mistake. Call the EDF police. Or Sean, whoever is closest.

I think it is very very nice that people care so much for one another and I have been truly moved by the amount of good will I received, though of course that was not the reason I wrote it. My phone had run out of battery. Jeesus do I have to explain everything? The teenage kid at the back I have found out was 27 - he was amused I had thought of him that age. There was no mention of my being condescending, just humour. Your interpretation. It was not a rubbernecking reaction, it was a genuinely friendly reaction - glad I was okay - happy to say so and PM me as well. A caring community. And along came you with a negative post.

"Those hundred of views (wow!) are mostly people wondering; "surely there is more to this thread than somebody announcing they are unhurt after an accident involving nobody else? There isn't? oh FFS!" "

That's YOUR interpretation which shows us all YOUR way of thinking. Thanks for that. Now we know. Now leave me alone and fuck off.

I've started a thread before to thank the person who handed in a wallet untouched after finding it on the street. It belonged to a neighbour and had the kind person who found it seen the post and responded it would have enabled my neighbour to say thank you. Can't see anything wrong with the spirit of this thread either Jeremy. SJ must have been having an off moment.