Slag in Ruskin Park (Query)

edhistory

I would think that bomb (or V1 / V2) damaged properties and associated rubble / waste arising would be very similar to industrial slag - could that be part of the answer?

Alternatively, Ruskin Park is alongside the Denmark Hill railway line and industrial slag was often used as the below track stabiliser / filler so could the creation of / maintenance of the railway line also be responsible for leaving behind some industrial slag?

Blimey can't a girl wear a mini skirt and heals to the park without being classed as a slag?

And I know I look a bit hard wearing but to call me industrial is just plain rude.

Geez people can be so judgemental, quite frankly I have been left feeling crushed and devalued.

Great thread title, edhistory!

Interesting question.

I wonder if it is similar to what is always said about the Alleyn's School running track on the field next to St Barnabas church?

The story goes that the spoil from the digging of a tube line was dumped there, making the hill even higher than it already was. There is quite an embankment as you go from the top down onto the field below. The bank can be clearly seen from Townley road.

I heard that the spoil came from the Piccadilly line, but that seems unlikely as it is so far away. Bakerloo seems more likely.

I wonder if anyone can confirm this story??