What's a good cocktail for autumn?

Saffron

What a fabulous thread. Autumn is my favourite season...my first instinct was to go for something apple(y).

So how about mulled english cider to see you through till Winter? Just mix with calvados or brandy, apple juice, lemon zest and juice, cloves, cinnamon and brown sugar. Warm yet light.

For something in lovely autumnal colours, a Manhattan or Voodoo rum punch. Or sloe gin topped up with fizz is good.

Also, I know that Pimms do Winter versions, they may do others. I think I'm getting carried away. Hope you find something you enjoy.

The thing about Pimm's is that it's just so civilised. You can have your Pimm's on your picnic blanket while your child (or husband, etc) runs gleefully around the park, and no one looks at you like you're the alcoholic parent of a toddler run amuck (or partner of a husband run amuck), etc. But if you break out a bottle of vodka, eyebrows do tend to be raised.

It's the same with mulled wine. If, on a frigid winter's day, you want to sit on the park bench, huddled over your thermal mug of mulled wine while your toddler pelts your husband and hapless passers-by with muddy snowballs, people brush the snow off with a shared smile. They can sympathize. And they wish they had your mulled wine... so all the better if you've brought some to share.

What's the equivalent for autumn. Where's the friendly tipple that inspires sympathy for autumn without too much fuss? What can you offer neighbours who stop by to say hello and return your garden clippers at 3 o'clock in the afternoon? I agree whisky is a very sympathetic and civilised drink. But, as you say DJKQ, what if you don't like whisky?

Mind you has anyone tried a black velvet (guinness and champagne). I can't think of anything less deserving of the description cocktail, which implies that the flavours and textures blend to become greater than the sum of the parts.

A black velvet tastes like some guinness with champagne poured in it, and I hasten to add, if it is not obvious, that this is not, I repeat, NOT a good thing.

There's the Pimm's route...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSatPja8bu24kn7bYoqnZUUOoX3fzyGBzZiRlvfF72D6gatULA1Pg

or a Moscow Mule is a good autumn stiffener (Vodka, Ginger Beer, bitters & lime).

ETA: Another good autumn snifter is a small glass of Apfelkorn - an apple liquer (though only 25% proof) that used to be on offer at De Hems in Soho (not been in a while), warming and very apple-y.