Bold Tendencies Local Feedback

boldtendencies

Are you interested in improving arts and culture provision in your local area?

Bold Tendencies is an annual summer outdoor sculpture project that for the past 5 years has been running on the top 4 floors of a multi-story car park in Peckham. http://boldtendencies.com/

We are keen to have feedback about this year's project from our local residents and to discuss its future with you.

We would like to invite East Dulwich residents to join us on the roof for lunch and a valuable discussion about the future of the project for 2012 and beyond.

Please email [email protected] to get involved or for more information.

Thank you.

Hannah Barry and Bella Ritchie

Bold Tendencies

mynamehere Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to see the car park turned into a

> vertical urban farm which would include everything

> that you are doing: art, bar/restaurant + bees,

> fruit trees, chickens, vegetables, vines a green

> house on the roof? Parking at the bottom. Grape

> vines hanging down the sides.

Genius. And a farmer

mynamehere Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to see the car park turned into a

> vertical urban farm which would include everything

> that you are doing: art, bar/restaurant + bees,

> fruit trees, chickens, vegetables, vines a green

> house on the roof? Parking at the bottom. Grape

> vines hanging down the sides.

Yes brilliant idea!!! Lots of people could get involved.

We think it's brilliant! What a good use of space. Before you started the exhibits and franks bar I would never have gone near the car park. Just didn't feel safe. Now I have friends from North London who have heard about it and want to come. Please carry it on next year. Can you get funding to make the access (stairs and lifts) more pleasant - that's biggest down side.

I believe I read in Southwark's regeneration papers for Peckham Rye and Nunhead that the car park had been ear marked for re-development. I would very much like to see it left to grow organically, perhaps renting bays for people to fit them out how they like. Frank's bar and the sculpture exhibition have been a great stimulus to the immediate area. It would be great to see an artisan market evolve in the car park.

hang on a minute folks - sounds like ed wants to expand its style and power base into se15 - bold tendencies has loads of private and public funding but its still summer fun that doesnt touch the people who live in se15. I mean franks takes absolutely loads of money but i don't see that cash staying in peckham. whatever happens to the car park should be for community use like a primary school with a roof top garden or one of those multidisciplinary health centres with a rooftop garden or a kids nursery with a rooftop garden

The idea would not be to give it over to Bold Tendancies, it would be to provide cheap studio/retail/office space for local people. If the council gave small grants for potential lessees to create their individual space, and the basic infrastructure - toilets, heating and electricity, then ownership of these pods would revert to the council after the end of a lease of say 5 years, with an option for the lessee to rent it back from the council. There are plenty people who work from home, and this is on the increase.

I know there is a huge shortage of school places in the area, but this building is not suitable for that kind of purpose. I like the idea of a roof top garden. I think you could get a great community going in the building.

Where does the Bold Tendancies' money go, by the way?

Does anybody have any examples of a converted multi-storey carpark which could serve as inspiration? It would be nice to see it converted into a useful and pleasant space, although I imagine it would be a huge project.

Franks is good, the exhibition is interesting in it's own way (although I have not visited this year). But the building is just about the most uninviting place I've ever been to.

To LadyJane Bold Tendencies is the one with Frank's Cafe and Campari bar on the roof!

To everyone else, glad Bold Tendencies is provoking such interesting ideas and debate. Just a reminder that

if anyone is still interested in coming to talk to us about your ideas and enjoy a complimentary lunch could you

email [email protected] to reserve a place and for more details.

Only 2 weeks to go.....

Bold Tendencies gets better every year; it's been a brilliant innovation in the heart of Peckham. And long may it continue. I hope it runs for years, although it must be a big commitment for a small but growing gallery. Some great art this year, and on a warm summer evening, a truly spectacular place to meet friends for a drink.

According to the website:

"Bold Tendencies is free to visit and has welcomed audiences from local residents to international tourists. Press feedback has been universally positive, and leading figures from the art world have offered their praise.

Practice Architecture, the architects who created Frank?s Cafe, have designed two new structures for 2011 in addition to the popular bar and restaurant. An Auditorium, built out of brass, gold and straw, will be sited between the concrete slabs of level 7 & 8 and a Billboard Kiosk of polythene and paper will stand at the exhibition entrance.

2011 will see the launch of two free audience programmes ? a wide-ranging Events Calendar and Education for children and young people. Bold Tendencies is part of the Cultural Learning Alliance.

Bold Tendencies 5 is part of the 2011 ?Year of Sculpture?, initiated by the Henry Moore Foundation.

In order to commission the sculpture, operate the site and run a comprehensive education and events programme we need to raise a minimum of ?80,000. Central to this is a target of raising at least ?7,500 through community funding and a patron programme, with sponsorship and foundations hopefully providing the balance."