kiva - sort of like a charity but you get your money back

mockney piers

http://www.kiva.org/

From what I can see this this is a really good idea. Find some nice worthy types around the world trying to set up a small business or buy some more grain to keep their cattle going until market time. Lend them $25 or more to help them hit their target and then they pay the money back.

overall 98% successful repayments in the almost $200 million lent so far in about 5 years since its inception.

At least have a click and a think if nothing else.

We all slag off the banks, so here's a chance to cut them out of the equation and help the third world to sort itself out!

I've been doing Kiva for about a year or so and have totted up 24 loans so far. I think it's great. I relend as the payments come in and lob another US$50 or so into my pot every couple of months.

We should start an EDF lender team!

One thing to watch is that there are interest payments made to the local lending organisation (which they keep). You are just stumping up the capital.

I think it's a great scheme and you can see who the money is going directly to as well and for what. Other people are employed to administer and collect on the loans, so I'm guessing the interest covers the cost of that as it's a non profit making organisation. But those jobs created are equally important in the area they serve. I really like what this scheme does.