post removed

cazzyr

Sausage and chips.

Post-Second World War drag acts 'in the noisy, smoky, crowded pubs of South London and docklands? drag acts ?'were joining the singers and local comics in the line-up of entertainers for a Saturday night?. Who were these South London drag acts? Boy George mentions from his childhood (late 60s/early 70s) 'Bubbles the drag queen who ran a caff in Dulwich... Used to perform at the Valley Club in Dulwich and spent all his days dishing up sausage, egg and chips to navvies'. There was also George Pinaud, some-time Greenwich market stallholder and drag artist, who set himself up as the Pearly King of Greenwich and Deptford in 1958.

His song was of course;

I'm forever blowing bubbles,

Pretty bubbles in the air.

They fly so high,

Nearly reach the sky,

Then like my dreams,

They fade and die.

Fortune's always hiding,

I've looked everywhere,

I'm forever blowing bubbles,

Pretty bubbles in the air.

May I remark that your invitation so worded nearly made me NOT to reply.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I've read this info on line too. I'd just love to hear from anyone who actually knew of this character and also The Valley Club. Anyone know where it was?

Computed...what so upset you about my post???! I think it's fair to ask for genuine responses as this thread

Well I guess in that it was self-defeating, counter productive and rather presumptuous.

See, we're now talking about what you said, rather than what you'd like to know ;-)

Anyway - there definitely are people with that knowledge on the forum.

Probably if you post a response to me, and change the subject line to: "ED 60s/70s - Valley Club and Bubbles Drag Queen - any info?" you're more likely to get the response you need?

'Play research' makes it look like a joke thread ;-)

And there are those of us who just can't resist a tag line like "Please don't post if you have no information".

Sorry but it's like an almost unreachable itch...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAKuam7xIn61N4UFmfUSidMF7Yj99e9RIPV4DbTOin_mCH5cesAQ

No one's blowing THESE bubbles baby!

Well I guess in that it was self-defeating, counter productive and rather presumptuous.

Thanks for that.

I put play research because I wanted some genuine help, for some genuine research and if I'd put drag queen in the thread title it would have definitely received unwelcome responses.

I'm clearly looking for help in the wrong place.

Thanks for what?

For trying to give you an answer to your question and offer a constructive suggestion on how you might better find out what you're looking for?

Clearly you like to self-righteously tell other people what they're allowed to do, and then throw a hissy fit when you don't get what you want.

Grow up, kiddo.

[quote name=To call me self righteous is somewhat disingenious dontchahink!!! PMSL!]

This play is going to have lots of spelling mis-hakes...

Suggested ED titles...

"Shopping and Fretting"?...

"The Foie Gras Doesn't Stop Here Anymore"?...

"How Camberwick Green Was My Grove Vale"?...

"Much Ado About Northcross Rd"?...

"Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woofmarkthedog"?...

"A Few Good (single) Men"?...

"The Taming of the Jam Pan"?...