Washing machine/tumble dryer advice, please

srisky

Boring topic for a glorius Friday but my washing machine has performed the death rattle and is no longer working.

It would be great to buy a washer dryer but I need some silly questions answered! Can washer dryers be easily installed in flats without major plumbing work? Where does the outlet hose go?

Thanks!

Bear in mind that a washer dryer will usually only dry smaller loads at a time (i.e. may wash 6kg, but you can only dry smaller quantity) so can take a while to dry things. I had one in my flat but never used the dryer. Now it has died I am getting it replaced with a normal washing machine as apparently washer dryers can also have issues with not rinsing as well as normal machines. One solution to the condensation would be to use a de-humidifier in the room where you hang the washing out to dry. I also found putting up temporary double glazing (the clingfilm type) helped with the condensation in winter. John Lewis website has some good info about washer dryers washer dryer info Hope that helps with your decision.

Great advice re: temporary glazing, will definitely give that a go.

We already have a dehumidifier, which runs nearly constantly throughout the winter :'( and now we have a baby our laundry frequency will increase.

I think we may give the washer dryer a try, my parents have one so I know that they don't dry completely and only take small loads but if we can get rid of some of the moisture then it may save our window frames and sills, not to mention the mould, yuk!

If you are generating that much damp air then you need to increase the ventilation more than anything. Temporary double glazing will stop the condensation on the windows but the dampness will still be in your flat. You may find that the lack of condensate (which you can mop up locally) could make it worse as the water will still be in the atmosphere, and you could find that carpets/curtains start to rot. Opening the windows for half an hour a day would make all the difference. Or perhaps a bigger dehumidifier

To add to Peterstorm's points, fit an extractor fan.

According to Which? the AEG-Electrolux L14840 is very quick at drying, is a best buy and costs around ?450 from Appliances online.

They summarised it:

The freestanding AEG-Electrolux L14840 washer-dryer is packed full of features such as a 20-hour delayed-start option, childproof controls and a countdown display, along with the usual selection of washing programs, including a 'Superquick' 30-minute wash. But does it stand its ground against other washer-dryers in our tests?

This Best Buy washer-dryer from AEG had us in a spin. It performs well right across all our washing tests, and is particularly impressive in dryer mode.

The freestanding L14840 washes equally well on cotton and easy-care settings. Both these options are followed by a thorough rinse, which is good news for anyone with sensitive skin as it means clothes are left free of washing powder residue. The cotton program takes two hours and 20 minutes to wash a full 6kg load, and the easy-care program is even quicker, washing 3kg of synthetics in just one hour and 30 minutes.

Yeah, but on the other hand AEG stuff does tend to break after about a year and is generally a bit crap though admittedly this is based on experience of dishwashers rather than washer driers.

Problem with WD is they tend to burn creases in, rather than the opposite wrikle free effect that stand alone driers achieve. Bosch have cracked it I think with their top of the line Logixx washer drier. Not cheap though.

Interior light broke on mine. They reckoned ?100 to replace inc call out fee. They would not explain how to replace it as it was their policy that only their engineers could do so. It was supposed to have a 5 year guarantee but I forgot to register the form within 14 days of purchase so they didn't honour it. I am in a rental house at the moment with AEG DW and the dishes never dry properly or clean very well and now the display has failed so you have to guess the programme. A friend has one and has had to replace the heating element twice in 2 years and now bought a different make. I assumed it was univerally accepted that these were just crap. Interested / surprised to hear others have had better experiences. In fairness the AEG oven I have is fine.

• 6 years later...

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, but on the other hand AEG stuff does tend to

> break after about a year and is generally a bit

> crap though admittedly this is based on experience

> of dishwashers rather than washer driers.

>

> Problem with WD is they tend to burn creases in,

> rather than the opposite wrikle free effect that

> stand alone driers achieve. Bosch have cracked it

> I think with their top of the line Logixx washer

> drier. Not cheap though.

I would go for Bosche too. We have a Bosche washing maching and a tumble dryer, both absolutely excellent. Their washer / dryers get good reviews:

https://www.reevoo.com/browse/product_type/washer-dryers/Construction/Freestanding/product_brand/Bosch

we've had an AEG washer dryer from john lewis for around 7years now. found it to be reliable and dries well.

recently purchased for our holiday home another washer dryer from John Lewis it was half the price of a Bosch and is a hotpoint. found that too to work really well at both washing and drying.

In 25 years I have always gone to John Lewis as I find their staff impartial and very knowledgeable and they do good extended warranties though touch wood Ive never needed to use it.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you all realise that this is a continuation of

> a thread from 2011 ? PittChao only posted the once

> on this thread - probably a bot.

But they do make some groovy machines. https://www.testextextile.com/products/. Even their washing machine above can give you up to 999 distinct washing and drying programs. And a five star review:

"Beryl Nelly ? May 10, 2018

The product worked well more than a month.It?s worth buying."

groovy or not, it comes from Japan with presumably an instruction manual, a real challenge for the Spin Doctor, who incidentally, recommended Bosch to us unreservedly -

yes this is an old thread, the OP said, she was going to get a WD anyway, so I don't know why she even asked.

we have just bought a Bosch kettle from Sainsbury, stylish, curvy, speedy, top opens easily, improved my mornings bigly