Steve Jobs 1955-2011

drew

Love him or hate him, he definitely made a mark on the world.

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesnt matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful ... thats what matters to me"

He converted me to being an Apple fan ... while Apple products have their critics, I cant imagine life today without them!

RIP Steve.

I was going to complain about the mawkish RIPs drowning FB but thought it might make me look mean-spirited, so bravo *Bob** for getting in there first!!

A 56 year old dying of cancer is a real personal tragedy but basically his vision was to paint computers pink, charge twice as much for them and get very rich out of the deal.

Not quite sure why everyone seems in anyway upset about this.

I'll stick to feeling the loss of Jansch's touching and inspiring music for the time being if that's ok with everyone else.

*plus loving the implication that you were there first *Bob* ;)

Clearly Jobs will mostly be remembered for his mass-consumer successes. It's an incredible business story.

Personally (removes hat respectfully) the real beauty of Apple products for me has always been in the way they worked, not how they looked. From the first Mac I bought (wipes tear from eye - an LC475 in 1994.. nearly a decade after Jobs left) it was a revelation to find a machine that was actually a pleasure to use rather than a necessary evil. (I'd still stroke it each night before I went to bed, because it looked so damned HOT.)

Now I have a ?5 phone and a Macbook Pro - and I'm very happy with both.

Yes Jeremy, I do. But nobody's forced to buy one, as far as I can see.

I'd have other problems with Apple (no Trust/ charitable Foundation, despite sitting on the biggest cash pile in corporate history) (Chinese labour factories) over the fact they sold a premium design + lifestyle package to willing customers.

If it was as easy as "paint it pink" there'd be plenty of other places we could buy, say, a cheaper tablet that works really well.

To be serious for a second (nooo not again) I do have a lot of respect for the guy for simply being good at what he did.

He saw what Pixar could be from the outset and his enthusiasm for technological progress and the idea that it can make our lives better appeals to my inner geek.

Of his apple record he clearly understood that the Teds and Bobs of this world were crying out for something that made them feel good about using them rather than got the job done, so again, well done.

Keef's phone may be sexier (as indeed is mine) but they are direct descendants of what Jobs (and co, lets face it he wasn't the technological force behind the products, he created an environment where innovation was encouraged though) created.

But I'm not convinced he made the world a better place, the 'values' that Apple sells and prides itself on are both superficial and unashamedly consumerist. Hell, half their products have a shelf life of a year and I'm pretty sure most of the smaller ones are designed to be lost (and Ben Elton came up with that idea!!).

Of his apple record he clearly understood that the Teds and Bobs of this world were crying out for something that made them feel good about using them rather than got the job done, so again, well done.

Ha. How right you are. I've never bought an Apple product in my life.

"If it was as easy as "paint it pink" there'd be plenty of other places we could buy, say, a cheaper tablet that works really well"

and therein lies the conundrum. Technology enthusiasts have always found better products, even aesthetically cooler ones for less. Plus I've always been more fascinated by how things work under the covers than having shiny covers, but I admit to being in the slightly aspergic geeky minority.

Many of Apple's great achievements were to package up exisintg ideas others came up with in a brand concious manner that people would buy into in their masses rather than people wh read geeky gadget sites imported from Korea (yesss, that's me again).

All clever stuff though, it's not a criticism, but judging by some of the FB comments you'd have thought we'd lost a modern day messiah of sorts.

Hats off on the tablet though, genuine innovation on technology that had several times failed to capture the imnagination and which noone thought would take off except Jobs.

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes Jeremy, I do. But nobody's forced to buy one,

> as far as I can see.

>

> I'd have other problems with Apple (no Trust/

> charitable Foundation, despite sitting on the

> biggest cash pile in corporate history) (Chinese

> labour factories) over the fact they sold a

> premium design + lifestyle package to willing

> customers.

>

> If it was as easy as "paint it pink" there'd be

> plenty of other places we could buy, say, a

> cheaper tablet that works really well.

Couldn't agree more, Ted. I don't have a problem with people wanting a nice looking phone/computer, and I have absolutely no problem with a succesful business that cashes in on image-conscious consumers. I just don't happen to be image-conscious!

I have a macbook - mainly because the software I wanted isn't available for the PC - and it is a good machine. But over-priced.

I too have been a little freaked out by the mawkish sentimentality that has been posted on Facebook. I didn't know the guy and it wasn't like he was a musician who may have touched us emotionally with their words or music. This is the modern world though, so basically, a 56-year-old computer geek has died of pancreatic cancer. That, in itself is sad - for his immediate family and friends, but come on get real.

NB: I've never owned anything made by Apple either.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Steve Jobs speech 2005

I thought the subsequent paragraph was even better

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

wise words.