Christmas cards - to send or not to send?

ChavWivaLawDegree

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Send Goat vouchers

Mrs Keef was telling me about this, and I think it's a great idea. We all have those people that it's impossible to buy for, and they really don't give a toss, so instead of buying them something that will be left to gather dust, buy a goat for someone who will be able to use it.

Oxfam Goat Link

*****OFF TOPIC POINT***** - I just think that people should be aware of this before they consider buying goats for all and sundry:

The use of goats as primary livestock for subsistence farmers, especially in Africa, is a contentious issue.

Because of the shape of a goat?s mouth they actually completely rip grass (and other plants) out by the roots. Unlike cows and sheep that can only eat the bits sprouting up from the ground. The consequence of this is that goats actually create desert and in the long term destroy fertile land that could support communities indefinitely if used in a sustainable way.

It works like this. Farmer gets goats because they are hardy and easy to keep livestock - Goats strip land of vegetation ? Next rainy season all the fertile topsoil is washed away ? next season?s crops don?t grow because the topsoil has been washed away ? Farmer moves on to next piece of land leaving behind infertile dessert.

They are a short term solution that causes an even bigger long term problem.

It's enough to make me just want to send huge paper cards and ignore all charities. No matter what one tries to do, a group rises up to tell us that actually no, that's even worse.

I think there must be a sort of pecking order battle among the militant wings of left-leaning charities. You score points by taking any charitable cause and ripping it up as even worse.

What can one really do to be helpful without being made to feel even more guilty when you discover your efforts actually made things worse?!

I don?t have any particular cause Maurice. I am just someone who comes from Africa and has seen the damage goats do to the landscape. I have been to places that are lush and have every potential to be developed for agriculture and then been back 3 years later and the landscape has been completely destroyed by overgrazing goats.

I?m talking large scale soil erosion, where massive rifts have been washed out of the landscape sometimes taking parts of roads and houses with them, and complete destruction of all the vegetation even the trees.

Maurice you can be one miseryguts in here sometimes yet I am sure you are a happy go lucky lovely "up" person in the flesh! I hope we meet one day and I shall try and persuade you that those of us who live in godawfuldreadful shouldbeblownupPECKHAM are actually nice people trying to make a positive difference. And what's more we live in the 95% of Peckham that is not part of the ?million regeneration area which you deem was wasted.

I too had read about goat-damage to crops and was glad Brendan kindly educated us about it - since he knows clearly what he is talking about.

But back to topic.

I have never sent Christmas cards and never saw the point and everyone knows it so they don't expect them from me, and yet I am amazed each year when still my friends send me cards that land on my mat.

But I never forget my friends' birthdays, so I do make up for it.

And I make my own cards. But I buy brand new non-recycled paper specially for it, just to make the point...

Mmmmm curry tonight !!!

I've pretty much stopped sending most cards on sanctioned events - people are far more likely to get random gifts and cards at unexpected times of the year from me. To my mind that shows they are genuinely being thought of rather than being on an annual mailing list

I wouldn't NOT send cards on "wasteful" grounds - there comes a point when you think "oh for the LOVE of GAAAWD, the planet can cope with some Christmas cardboard wastage" - but in recent years the poncification of cards has gotten out of hand

PS PeckhamRose - I think you are spot on about Maurice.. but shhhh I never said that

DONT SEND GOAT VOUCHERS!!

The buggers eat everything in sight and completely bugger up the environment.

I spent a goodly proportion of last year yomping round the developing world doing some work for DFID, the general opinion was - anything but goats. Except perhaps elephants.

Generic capacity building low technology and micro finance projects are less cute but are a better bet.