Trains from Peckham Rye

Misty164

Anyone know where the massively convenient direct train from Peckham Rye to London Victoria at 8.38am has gone?? Turned up this morning to find the 8.32am hadbeen cancelled and the 8.38am had disappeared. The 8.55am has also moved to 8.54am without any notice, not good when you're wrestling with the bus traffic on Rye Lane and every second counts.

Presumably some missive was sent out from whichever train service runs it but it wasn't made particularly obvious. Would be nice if the train stations handed out new timetables when the service is altered.

It has disappeared from the TfL journey planner too. That's definite then.

Just checked South Eastern Trains website and as of December 9th that train no longer exists! You are quite correct in also noticing that the 8.55 is supposed to be a minute earlier.

No wonder the 8.12 has been a lot busier recently - people having to go to work earlier.

The buggers could have told us, or made it more obvious than some pidd-ly little sign somewhere stealthily announcing it.

So....Peckham Rye to Victoria on a weekday morning is now either:

Not what you'd call frequent.

It is most infuriating. Just been on South Eastern's site as well, notification of the cancellation of this service is on a 40 page document buried deep within the news section of the website.

There are the slow services at 8.18am and 8.50am as well from platform 1 but if either of these actually decide to run on time before the end of the year, i'll eat my santa hat!

Ah yes, that's the Southern operated service on the Victoria/London Bridge loop isn't it?

Bloody ridiculous state of affairs.

The most grating announcements are always when ticket prices go up and some badly dressed lick spittle, from whatever train operating company happens to be lining its shareholders profits that month, says that it is to reduce numbers travelling at peak times! Do they think I get on a train at that time out of choice?! It's because I have a job to get to where if you arrive at 10.30am it is viewed as a sign of langour, not a wise, money-saving decision to travel off-peak thus alleviating transport conditions for fellow commuters. Simpletons.

Re-nationalise the whole bloody lot. Even this government couldn't be as bad as South-Eastern. At least run it as a not-for-profit organisation like Network Rail. I feel a whole new thread coming on.....

Ahahahaha. Poor Maurice!

I used to work with an accountant who explained that back in the 1930s there were something like 70 independent train operating companies and it all worked splendidly because they worked together as a team. I am not convinced. I would re-nationalise the whole lot. Yet the airlines are all separate companies. Could it be said they work well?

But you won't get me off the motorcycle, even in this weather. Well, maybe you can if you aim right, but I am pretty observant and quick to get out of the way.

Private companies work as long as they want to attract more customers (e.g. low-cost airlines). The problem with the likes of Southeastern is they don't actually want more customers, as they haven't got enough capacity as it is! So they are actually trying to DISCOURAGE people from travelling with higher fares and more infrequent services, especially at rush hour. All they care about now is keeping their punctuality figures looking okay... so expect more cuts and piddly 4-carriage trains.

It is a totally absurd situation, especially when the taxpayer is helping to line the shareholders' pockets via huge Government subsidies (where were the subsidies for Rover or Peugeot at Ryton?)

I have given up and get the bus to work now. It takes longer but at least I get a seat and don't have to wait endlessly for services that never materialise.