The shops in Nunhead are going to the wall

macroban

Which shops?

I shop there regularly.

I believe a new cafe has applied to open next to the lovely AJ FLowers.

I go to most of the shops there quite regularly and know the people to talk to.

And if you are SO whingy about it, why bang on to councillors in HERE where they are not reading it, and come along to the Community COuncil meeting TONIGHT Wed 19th December and say something out loud and sensible where they can hear you?

The latest issue of Nunhead Voice talked about the money earmarked for the area too.

Whingy ? don't be daft, they have been promised money since 2001 - where is it ?

Read the Nunhead Voice and you will see from the letter from the shop owners themselves that it has been a Shite year in the lane, 3shops have closed one that has been there for over 20 years and 7 shops in the last 2 years , we currently have 4 vacant, 3 for over 8months. Investors are offering a lot of money to turn them into buy to let flats and no one from the liberals gives a flying..... they would not care if the small lane vanished into a row of cheap rent flats or illegally rented upstairs rooms and emtpy nail bars below.

As for the community council it's defunct and toothless with regrard to a regeneration plan, and the liberal Council regeneration tszar Richard "where's Nunhead?" Thomas is .........

As the rents explode in ED they should think about offering an alternative cheaper rental opportunity to create a focus for other types of new business ventures - there are examples all over London. Aberville road in Clapham, Exmouth market islington, Columbia Road in hackney, Broadway market in London Fields...etc etc

Do some research and come back with eyes open.....

Again I just don't believe in our current 'if you build it they will come' approach to regeneration. Lordship Lane is an excellent example. They came because demand was high, not because we poured in millions building a lovely parade of empty shops.

Peckham remains an excellent example. Bellendon a close second. A new coat of paint covers the cracks only for a limited amount of time.

But your point about whining to THIS forum would be???

Aim your whining at those that can do something.

This is East Dulwich Forum.

I agree the Community Councils are toothless, and my recent application to be a member of the Standards Committee of the council refers to that point as a reason why I want to try and make things better in that area.

I have forwarded this link to Cllr Robert Smeath.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whingy ? don't be daft, they have been promised

> money since 2001 - where is it ?

>

> Read the Nunhead Voice and you will see from the

> letter from the shop owners themselves that it has

> been a Shite year in the lane, 3shops have closed

> one that has been there for over 20 years and 7

> shops in the last 2 years , we currently have 4

> vacant, 3 for over 8months. Investors are offering

> a lot of money to turn them into buy to let flats

> and no one from the liberals gives a flying.....

> they would not care if the small lane vanished

> into a row of cheap rent flats or illegally rented

> upstairs rooms and emtpy nail bars below.

>

> As for the community council it's defunct and

> toothless with regrard to a regeneration plan, and

> the liberal Council regeneration tszar Richard

> "where's Nunhead?" Thomas is .........

>

> As the rents explode in ED they should think about

> offering an alternative cheaper rental opportunity

> to create a focus for other types of new business

> ventures - there are examples all over London.

> Aberville road in Clapham, Exmouth market

> islington, Columbia Road in hackney, Broadway

> market in London Fields...etc etc

>

> Do some research and come back with eyes open.....

Absolutely, we dont all pay the same council tax, ED property is worth more and so we pay more. There is no point in opening pointless shops when there is no demand for their goods. The Nuns Head does a great Sunday lunch which attracts us EDers. Perhaps if the denizens of Nunhead were to lay on some traditional entertainment on the Nunhead village green we might throw a few pennies their way.

Witch burning, crone ducking, that sort of thing.

Its the private sector that regenerates areas, standing there with your hands out waiting for Soutwark grant aid is all a bit Oliver Twist.

Sorry but we are intertwined with ED so you are just going to have to get over it - I think the councillor in charge of the so called (joke) regeneration is an ED coucillor and lives in ED. I know that some people think ED should have some Chinese type interent wall built up around it but it ain't going to happen - or actually it may and would be a sad indictment indeed.

Answer Mark's question, AllForNun.

We all only have each other.

I always try and do my shopping in Nunhead and I always try and attend CCs and encourage others to do so.

If more people did, things would have to improve because as a community we would not let our elected leaders rest until they did.

But

at the moment in society the whingers and whiners are winning, and whining.

I think it has something to do with not enough people suffering enough together.

Revolutions happen when enough people suffer enough together and are united in the suffering.

Basically, we get the leaders and the society we deserve.

Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hey AllforNun, what action have you taken to help

> the area? And what further action do you intend to

> take to help the area?