Stolen bikes- where do they go?

womanofdulwich

I can't stop myself looking out for my recently stolen bike. Whenever I see someone on a bike or see bikes locked up I am looking for my bike. I miss it so much. Are all good bikes taken apart and made up into new ones ? I've looked on gumtree- is there anywhere else ( it wont turn up at a polices station) anyone has been successful?

:(

They'll end up either on gumtree / ebay or at boot fairs (most likely the Nine Elms one in your case), brick lane etc. Or ridden around by kids.

You can watch this slightly depressing site: bikeshd.co.uk/ and see whether it turns up

ha this really resonates with me, i had my bike stolen a few months ago and i always look at other cyclists suspiciously to see if they are riding my old bike!!!

i was at the community council meeeting in dulwich library last month - the police said there has actually been a reduction in bike thefts.

one man said he had had 7 bikes stolen over a few years - and never saw them again.

Tom

This was many years ago and it was actually Mr G who happened upon my bike at what was still a junk shop and not yet Cash Converters. He basically said that this was our stolen bike and he had proof of ownership so the guy in the shop just said ok, take it away then. I miraculously got my bike back. I know now that the right thing would have been to call the police and all but it was so shocking and unexpected and we were just so happy to find our much beloved bike that we didn't think of it at the time.

• 1 month later...

This is silly I know ,but I miss my bike so badly .

Talk about you dont know what you miss till it's gone

which sure gives my age away .

I tried to put my loss behind me and bought a massively expensive Trek hybrid from Balfe's ,tried to ignore how ugly the big fat tubes and cluttered handle bars were ....but could not ignore the leaden ride .

Thought it was just me but now I'm engaged on the search for a second hand mixtie ( small frame ) 531 tubing I realise that what the frame is made of affects the ride .

Oh ,how could I have been so stupid ,why didn't I keep my lovely Revell 1970's bike ( had from new for 40 years ) inside .

I had no idea how special it was ,just loved to ride it .

And will be a pig to replace as it was small .

Keep your bikes indoors .