Vegetarian Club (Lounged)

figgins

The first rule of vegetarian club is: no goat's cheese. The second rule of vegetarian club is: NO GOAT'S CHEESE.

So, does anyone know of any decent veg food on LL? Our experience so far has been pretty dire. Ate at the Plough last night, or tried to... mmmm... "garlic" mushrooms with no garlic, lentil and spinach burger burned to a crisp, horrible fries. Recent veg sunday roast at the Uplands was smothered in meaty gravy. I find it hard to believe that our only options are the tex mex place (which I do like, but it's hardly a night out) the greek/turkish place whose name I forget, and a pizza in the EDT, Magdala or Gowland. Any suggestions?

uplands has lost it, management after management. some hope at the peckham rye caff in the park.

oh NIGHT out. tried the rye hotel? The pubs dont quite get vege_ism. Another reason to wish for a japanese (noodles yum!) joint here.

I dont think ED is ready for a full on quality vege restaraunt. i wish!

Theres 'ganapatti' southern indian cooking, on holly grove se15. Thats pure vegtastic and very good.

Im bleary, shouldnt be typing this early. Lets root em out. heh!

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Plenty of places a bit further afield, Peckham Rye

> hotel, Tapas places by Harvester and up towards

> Brockley

>

> Curry... Chinese... Thai

Peckham Rye Hotel is good, I agree.

Curry, ok. Chinese - many seem unaware that oyster sauce is not vegetarian. Thai - v. suspicious that there is often shrimp paste lurking in the curry base.

oh I see, thanks. Had got the wrong end of the stick.

So must leave you even more short of options if you're vegetarian and pregnant.

I've often noticed that there's only one veggie option on a lot of menus and thought how incredibly annoying that must be.

I know it's not exactly local but the Thai place in Crystal Palace is great and has two entire pages of veggie options. There's also a good veggie + fish restaurant called Domali there.

My personal favourite is Shahee Bhelpoori in Norbury - delicious vegetarian Indian food. I'm amazed that East Dulwich doesn't have a veggie restaurant - surely there's enough demand?

Btw can the second rule of vegetarian club be NO SPINACH & RICOTTA PASTA?

Delivery from New Fujiyama in Brixton? Lots of veg noodles etc - and are aware of the difference between 'vegetable' dishes and 'vegetarian' dishes (ie will specify when fish sauce is used). There are supposed to be a couple of nice veg places in Crystal Palace. But of course this lacks the advantage of actually being in ED :(

Aw c'mon.. if you're all so.. awkward.. as to demand vegetarian food, surely you ought to be happy with a tray of roasted vegetables with Cheese Of The Goat plonked on top?

If that's not good enough, drop by my place and I'll make you some fresh Spinach and Marscapone dumplings, crisped-up under the grill with a bit of parmesan and served with a red pepper and chilli sauce mmmmm

Went to Eat and Two Veg in Marylebone high street and have never been more disappointed in a meal in my life - we waited ages for our wine, and when it came it was actually warm (it was red but WARM) - the food sounded wonderful on the menu but I could have cooked better - and it was so unmemorable that I can't even remember what I ordered.

IMO The Gate in Hammersmith is the best veggie restaurant in London

http://www.thegate.tv/

obviously not in ED - but worth a try anyway.

My biggest veggie gripe is veggie sausages as the Sunday Lunch option - lazy and thoughtless.

ah Domali, we could use sumptin a little like that here. but better eh?

New york has places like angelicas and souen. Shame we cant here, have that type of restaraunt. Glad yu brought up petitou.

good joint (if you can get a seat)

if you dont wanna eat cheese, london is a bit behind the times. As this thread is filling quick I think vegetarian is quite big in this area. good.

totally agree on the roasted vegetables, pasta cheese thing.

no but thats generally whats in the shops , and convienient for catering.

ever been to a factory farm loz? I have, dont like being reminded of it. So sausages/burgers meat look alikes

are kinda dour.

bob, I was lucky enough to go to a wedding one time where kastoori provided the food. Result!

tooting is bit far though..