-------------------------------------------------------

> I think there is a sort of smug,

> self-congratulatory, "we've made it" attitude

> amongst some people.

>

> But the problem is not nearly as serious as it is

> in Clapham.

Soooooooooo true Jeremy!

There's definitely a weekend crowd now. And I don't know why but I reckon they're better looking.

On a weekday its mainly:

- Happy mums doing the buggy /coffee thing

- Unemployed people

- Pensioners

- Thieves casing the streets /Romanians in old white vans looking for metal

- Estate Agents

Edited for reasons of personal safety.... *ducks*

better looking perhaps - but much more annoying.

Men who are in 'weekend-casual-dress' (usually chosen by their partner) and are leading children or pushing buggies and meandering along the lane pretending to look like they know these shops and their mysteries but really wishing to be anywhere else.

They are the ones who fake jollity with - and interest in - their off-spring whilst the Mrs chats (at length) with other Mrss (often around a clutch of buggies). The same that peer with feigned fascination at the garbage in Mrs Robinson or the slowly rotting overpriced veg in Franklins when the only shop they want to visit (thanks to Hugh FW's meat bible) is Wm Rose so they can 'hum' knowledgeably over the offal.

The women tend to be 'scowlers'. They have been abandoned by their job for a couple of days and left marooned with spoiled and overdemanding children and a sulking man who - despite listening to Jenny Murray and buying the Guardian - still really doesn't 'get' the 'she-has-a-job-too' thing and expects to be freed of domestic duties so as to carbonise meat and bang nails into wood - or at least discuss these possibilities over the latest guest ale.

Why annoying? Because they move too slowly, meander too much and too spasmodically, block the arteries and take aaaaages to pay for everything. Do us a favour loves... do it all online and spend the weekend in the country.

I tell you.

It's never like that in Lidl Sydenham.

Oh yeah, there's a load of people standing in a line but most of them are just plain out-of-it.

And reclaimed distorted cardboard boxes, laden with stuff under each arm.

It's like care-in-the-community-big-society-loads-of-weird-german-food all mixed into one

No wonder Jay Rayner shops there.

Love it me.

Netts:-S

Nice observational there Maxxi

But your post is a little depressing and reminds me from one circa 2007, when the first decent baker opened in the area and a poster had a pop at someone "walking smugly down the street in their floral dress and sunday flip flops to buy their sour dough". A pop at increasing gentrification/sophistication when it was crap before. In reality is it not just different people at different stages of life out buying shit. And as I think Asset said at the time, "so f***&%g what?".

*hides cardigan /loafer combo*

If the problem is truly one of people with buggies and small children cluttering up Lordship Lane, all this will pass. Children only occupy a small proportion of one's adult life, unless one goes in for large families or second/third families.

Children add life to the area, and ensure that things stay local. As people age, their needs inevitably reduce and in line with the lifecycle of localities, LL will probably return to being a sleepy and run-down nowhere without any kind of public life except that provided out of hours by pubs and young single flatters. And that is arguably worse than squads of yummy mummies with their feelings of entitlement. I'd be careful what I wish for.

Never understood why mum's get a hard time on here. I'd rather that than the unemployed, drunken air stealers that spend their benefits in the bookies all day. In addition to all that joyous thrusting, mums are spending their cash in local businesses which are otherwise dead during the day, and they smile a lot. Anti-mum gags are mainly from grumpy old loners who cant get laid OR 20 somethings who seem to forget what will happen to them in just a few years time...

Civilservant - your post only makes sense if every parent who lives here stays here. Forever. What really happens is that they have sprogs, use the decent local school system for 10 years, cash the house in and out move to Surrey/Hertfordshire/France etc but you knew that didn't you....

civilservant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If the problem is truly one of people with buggies

> and small children cluttering up Lordship Lane,

> all this will pass. Children only occupy a small

> proportion of one's adult life

Yes but the good citizens of ED seem to be forever popping them out like trainers from a Korean sweatshop - and popping them straight onto scooters designed to cause widespread knee-scrapage and handlebar-to-groin injury as they whiz along LL.

@Mr Ben - personally I don't mind the smugness, the sourdough or the Wm. Rose shopping bags - it's the dithering that's all. My plea wasn't for the good and newly-washed folk of ED to abandon any selectivity (or even affectation) in their shopping habits, just... well just don't dither.