Miami / Florida - any travel tips?

sazzle

Depending on how long you've got there, I recommend hiring a car and driving down to the keys for a few days/nights.

Also try and check out a game of Jai alai 'the fastest game on earth' when you're there.

If you're interested in american football, then go and see the Dolphins (although they're having a terrible season so far, currently 0-6).

South Beach itself is very plastic and artificial but has some lovely art-deco buildings and a certain amount of charm, some great little bars, coffeeshops and some decent restaurants.

When are you going?

Miami are playing so badly that it should be pretty easy to get tickets. It's a hike out to Sun Stadium though and parking is pricey. When you're in the Everglades, do take the boat tour - it's a real blast.

South Beach is fun to wander around - just don't get too caught up in the v pricey cocktails on the Ocean Drive hotels. Having said that, the Pelican does a gorgeous ceviche salad and some of the breakfast/lunch deals along the front are pretty good. Skip Jerry's Famous Diner (which you if you're on South Beach, you'll probably pass at some point). It looks fabulous from the outside and the inside but the food is expensive and not that great. David's Cafe is a Cuban restaurant and definitely worth going to. You know I'm sure I did more than just eat while I was there last year!

It's worth going into some of the stores on Lincoln/Collins since some of the conversions are interesting. One of the Banana Republics is built in an old bank - it still has the teller counters where the cash registers are, a gorgeous 30s mural up the curving staircase and the changing rooms are in the old vault.

We were going to go to Vizcaya House which is basically what a stately home would look like if it had been built in the early 20th century. My local pal said it was worth a wander but we ran out of time.

See if your Orlando friend could meet you in St Petersburg (2 hours drive from them) which has the Dali museum and a Gulf beach where the water is far warmer. Orlando is a dump unless you're into themeparks - and even then, Busch Gardens near Tampa has the better thrill rides.

Thanks for the Groupon idea janine85 good thinking!

PR - yes very lucky at the mom i do love a good road trip ;-) Hope you guys are keeping well! I am going to dig out the map and check the places you mention.

Applespider thanks for all this, I have heard Orlando prob isnt worth a visit but its my travel buddies relative, still will check out st petersberg for a visit! Eating is a very important part of the holiday don't underestimate it!!

Alan Medic - i am defo on for some snorkelling and a drive down the keys so will do some research - thank you!

Dinner at The Delano is well worth it.. You may even bump into J-Lo.. We stayed on South Beach which was very handy for Ocean Drive and shopping in town. Some of the big hotels do fantastic beach parties with some top DJ sets; we saw Kaskade and very impressed. I am going back in March for a birthday and can't wait...

Go to the Everglades, great day out if you like aligators; they stroll about the place with not a care in the world. I didn't believe they were real until one shot off at speed just in front of me. I got some great close-up pics.

Hi

A couple of tips...

If you are going to The Disney Parks try to resist buying anything in the shops. Disney have a shop at The Orlando Premium Mall at the top of I Drive It is at least 30% off. This outlet also has over 50 shops ranging from Lacoste to Forever 21; depending on your preferences.

Secondly if you get a chance go to Celebration. It's just like Desperate Housewives!

Thirdly visit St Augustine. This is the oldest city in America and is full of history. It's only 2 hours away from Orlando. When there go to The Pirate's Museum you will find the only authenticated Pirate's Chest.

Lastly stock up on goodies in Publix and Whole Foods. Toiletries are around 1/2 the price.

Frankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pancakes with cured bacon and maple

> syrup........... Yumtastic.

I made that for breakfast last Sunday... no need to go to Miami for them ;-)

Oh yeah - Dodo is right. Bring back some peanut butter M&Ms... mmmmm

Orlando has a nice part of town called Winter Park. You can sit on the terrace of decent restaurants and hear and see the slow-moving cargo trains go clanking past on the level crossing on the green. Very few tourists head there, especially in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...
Take bite stuff, it may be better now but I got very badly bitten by a mosquito in the Everglades, could have been an Alligator so could has been worse and my leg swelled up. Don't get lost, Miami is lovely but go off the main drag and its a bit of a shock to the system, where the "not so rich" people live. We stayed in one of the art deco hotels on the main drag, the beach has quite a few tanned, young, slim, fit people on it ;) who like to hang out, bit weird when your older, a little overweight and almost see through white like me!

Don't go....Full of over-tanned plastic people. THe difference between the have and have-nots is extraordinary. And as for their attitude to wildlife - wandering with a baby croc whose mouth was bound shut and screaming, and toting for money to have your photo with it in miami harbour really not my bag.

Then there's Little Havana - where you can go and take photos of all the little Cubans, Oh the ghettos! you mustn't miss those!

Then there's all the "woo-hooing" by women with long talons, deep deep tans, face lifts and cocktails around the beach/pool.....ugh

One good thing: The buses!! At least they wait until you sit down before they pull off, not like they do here!!