Country house recommendations?

clarabelle

My extended family and I are looking for a nice country house/cottage to stay in over the Christmas holidays. Does anyone have any recommendations for places they've stayed in the past? We're looking for something with three double bedrooms and nice walks in the surrounding area.

Thanks!

Lake Country House Hotel is fantastic - not anywhere near cheap but every element is high quality. When we last stayed there was even a dog or two that would accompany guests on walks.

It's in Wales with plenty of good walking - also horse riding and golf nearby. Tho' it's very easy just to chill out in the hotel - we did look at spending a family Christmas there one year - but total cost a tad prohibitive, but the experience woukd be fantastic, as in literally a fantasy world of "olde English / Downton Abbey" style of living. The afternoon tea is just heavenly.

New Park Manor is lovely, I spent a night there on my honeymoon! Fantastic food as well.

We once stayed with loads of friends at the Manor Farmhouse, Snowshill, Gloucester which is a National Trust self catering cottage, and we all swore that one day we would do Christmas there because it was an absolutely perfect storybook setting. The local pub across the road had a fabulous publican (right term?) who would stay on after closing and drink and chat with us. A mile away is Broadway, which has lots of typical Cotswold dining options, but the dining room would be sufficiently large for a proper Christmas dinner in (that would be my choice). And as it's name suggests, it gets all lovely and snowy in the winter. Oh my now I'm jealous!

The cottage itself has loads of room and at least four double and one single bedroom I think.