Does anyone know any fab' Duck breast recipes?

AdamM

Hi Nette,

I have 2 criteria that I am hoping to conquer. I am looking to avoid doing any fruit based recipe as I want to do something a bit more adventurous and away from the norm'. Plus, one of my guests/friends is an exceptional cook so I don't mind admitting that I am hoping to impress them!

Thanks for your message - Adam

Hi Adam,

Duck breast in a baking tray, fat side up (you may want to trim some of the excess skin/fat off the ends.

Score the fat three or four times across the breast so deep that it just cuts a little into the meat.

Honey, soy sauce, salt, pepper, chinese five spice, chilli and ginger on top

Oven at 180 for 15 - 20 mins

Serve with mangetout/pak choi/other crunchy green veggies

A

nashoi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nette,

>

> Whilst driving through Sussex the other day I

> happened by The Weald Smokery, down by Bewl Water.

> I stopped off for a quick look round what was a

> lovely little shop with its own smokery out the

> back. You can get a guided a tour if you fancy

> seeing how the pros do it.

OMG

I's so bloody excited by that. OK, who's coming on a group tour then ?

It looks brilliant & not far away either. Nashoi you're my new Forum BF ( 24hrs max )

"Oi d_c fancy a day out ? "

NETTE(tu)(tu)(tu)

Now...

Back to "The Dinner Party"

Adam doesn't want fruit so, Moro's Duck breast with pomegranate molasses, is off the menu, shame it's divine which is a unfortunate as Quince, medlar & pomegranate are all in season still

Adam wants to impress

Adam wants to shag one of the guests a recipe

Anyway, silliness aside ( for now )

Last night in bed I was reading, as i'm inclined to do.

Nigel Slater: The Kitchen Diaries and came across Slow-cooked Duck with star anise & ginger. pg 345

Perfect for Adam I thought, for the season too. A little aromatic,soft with a gentle warmth. He suggests serving it with rice, though I'd be tempted with a light potato and celeriac mash, a few green beans on the side perhaps.

I'd be impressed, if it's done well. Though Adam may want something a little-more-showy.

We'll see.

* tum tee tum *

Nette:-S

I have a FABULOUS recipe for grapefruit sauce with soy sauce and honey and all sorts, in the Two Fat Ladies cook book. I can not scan that and don't have time to write it all out. So if it floats your boat, PM me and I will give you my number and you can call and I'll read it out over the phone. It is absolutely delicious and really rich.

I suppose two halves of a grapefruit could look like breasts.........but duck breasts? I must pay more attention next time I'm in the park. Assuming there are any left, as after this thread they well all be gone. Where are you getting your one from Adam, Dulwich Park or Peckham Rye? I noticed you posted the same thread in the 'wanted' section. I take it there's a duck on the run. Will keep an eye out for it but would love to know what crime it committed.

PS Adam, if you lost your duck a picture wouldn't go amiss.

katie1997 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it too late to suggest Provencal-style duck

> with olives (but legs def best for slow cooking)

> or lavender honey duck? Classic and simple but

> maybe not as adventurous.

Probably Katie Num-nums

But just know, Adam is SWEATING IT now.

"Ohhh..shall I, shan't I, there's soooo much riding on this"

*smiles benignly*

NETTE:))

Oooh Nette indeed, the suspense....

anyway, here's another recipe (from Villandry)

Breast of Barbary duck with fondant potatoes, Bordelaise sauce and morels. Its so simple but effective. The sauce is french red wine, shallots, thyme, bay leaves, veal stock then add butter and a good splash of madeira. Reduce, simmer and sieve then add morels.

Alan, did you lose marbles? Me too! I keep visualising the baseball caps belonging to Huey, Dewey and Louie floating in the pomegranate, grapefruit, orange, cherry, lavender, honey, soy sauce combo whenever I read this thread :))

Edited to correct spelling of Louie. It simply won't do with a y B)

• 2 weeks later...