Can some internet/network guru please help?

*Bob*

I imagined that by this point in the day I would be leaning back smugly and wirelessly enjoying the latest sounds from top beat combos - not seething with anger and wanting two hours of my life back.

Can anyone offer any advice?

The plan was to connect my modem via ethernet to a powerline adaptor, then connect the other one of the powerline pair into my airport express in order to listen to 'tunes' wirelessly on Spotify (the powerline was to fix dropouts in sound I was experiencing).

So, modem working fine. Power-up powerlines.. all fine. But as soon as I make the ethernet connection to the airport express, the modem stops working. Why would this be?

Anyone..? Bueller..?

Thanks for this:

The Modem worked fine with Airport Express (set to 'join an existing network') previously. The modem works fine with the Powerline (I've tested this to make sure it's working).

I'm assuming I need to reconfigure something in the airport express - but the airport express seems to want to be reconfigured via the modem in order to work with the modem. But connecting all three disables the modem, so I can't reconfigure the AE.. I'm probably explaining this very poorly.

I did have one thought: I'm 'reconfiguring' an existing AE setup: should I be doing a factory reset of the AE - and then when I plug all three in it will start afresh and organise itself without a conflict?