2012 - Gamesmaker!

Freddy1929

Hi

I applied last year to be a Games maker at the 2012 Olympics, and after an extensive interview process!

I have been offered the role of Print distribution Team member. I have to attend training and a Test event in November and I have been informed that my event at the Olympics next year will be at the Aquatic Centre.

I'm chuffed as little mint balls, as I think the London Olympics is the greatest sporting event to happen in this country certainly in my life time( and yes I remember 1966, I was there!)

Yes I know, its cost us all money, and what?s going to happen after the Games to all the venues? Will they be used? Who will make money? I know all the arguments but sometimes let?s support what will be a fantastic event, and enjoy!!!!

Am I the only person who has volunteered to work at the Games? Everyone I tell, laughs at me, asks why am I doing it?

By no means am I a supporter of David Cameron?s ''Big Society? but if peoples reaction to volunteering for the Olympic Games is anything to go by there is no chance of it working. People ask why am I doing it, using annual leave from work, and not getting paid? What a sign of the 21st Century, every thing being measured by pound notes. Sometimes what we gain from something we do does not have to involve a monetary return.

Congratulations. Don't think a lot of people realise yet just how big this whole thing is. I'd encourage people to go on the Olympic Park tour to get an idea of the scale of it. And then they can go shopping at Westfield afterwards.

I'm waiting hear back re my Gamesmaker application - everyone at work thinks I'm mad too - the question every asks is "do you get free tickets" (no!) and I've been really disappointed how many people ask me why I'm bothering - as if that's the only reason to volunteer.

AFAIK Gamesmaker=volunteering at the Games and Ambassador=volunteering to assist visitors to London during the Games.

• 3 weeks later...
I got an offer this morning for a role as part of the Protocol team for the Paralympics. Really excited about. Everyone at work still thinks I'm a bit mad, but my boss actually was really positive about the fact I'm volunteering for something at the Paralympics.

Hey - me too Applespider! Really chuffed to get my call back email this morning. Only had my audition on Sunday. Our group was the very, very last audition, so all of the registration/costume staff/etc joined us for the last five minutes. It was huge fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just to give you an update on my roll as a Gamesmaker,

I'm attending a Test Event on the Olympic park this week for training, it is great, walking across the Olympic Park is amazing it is so BIG! To give you an idea of the size, it takes less time for me to go from East Dulwich Station to Stratford station, than for me to walk from Stratford Station through the Westfield shopping centre and across the Olympic Park to the Handball arena! Seeing all the different sports arena's is aweinspiring, some are going to be permanant others are temporary and will be taken down after the Games. A lot of thought and planning seems to have gone into achieving a lasting legacy after the games.

I'm delivering printed scores/statistics sheets around the arena, and having a great time, I'm doing something so different from my usual day job, I have been issued with T-shirts and an anorack, with 'London Prepares' on the back! Which I'm very proud to wear, so if you see me around East Dulwich - say hello!!

• 2 months later...
Had a briliant time at Wembley this afternoon - Eddie Izzard, Jonathan Edwards all there in person - great atmosphere - starting to feel very real now and only 24 Saturday to the games Tip for anybody driving is that there is a car park just behind Wembley Park tube station - it was ?1.50 to park there today and is only ?1 on a Sunday.